Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Spirit starts to settle into doggie adulthood (3 year old?) I'm starting to get a bit concerned about a developing trait. While she is pretty friendly to people in general I'm noticing that she's assuming what appears to be a defensive posture when she senses people or creatures in or near my house.

In the past she would softly wake me at night, I'd grab my self defense tool and she'd lead me in the direction of whatever she heard and bark quiet a bit. Typically it was someone walking close to my house on my driveway (I share a driveway with my neighbor) or some random animal near the house. After I verify the situation and let her see that it's all clear (pull a curtain let her see outside, etc) we both go back to bed.

Now when she barks at possible intruders it's a growl-bark and instead of standing normally her rear end is lower but just above the ground towards whatever she heard. She also takes this approach to unknown (to her) visitors that I have not touched on the shoulder in front of her.

This only happens my house and the backyard. Never occurs anywhere else.

Should I be concerned? Is this a normal change in temperament?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
What breed is Spirit? I'd consider this quite normal for guardian breeds.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because she was a former stray her breed I a best guess. The vet says "there's a lot of terrier in there".

Without a dna test i'd say either scwt x, schnoodle, or shizu-poodle.

Basically, she was more of a watchdog but at her small size I don't feel comfortable with her turning into a guard dog. My concern is if a breakin happens i'd prefer if she simply provides me situational awareness without engaging. She may be quick but she is only 30 lbs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts