Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
My Chichuahua is getting neutered today, and i was wondering if anyone could advise me as to what kind if behavior i should have towards him the next few days after the "surgery"?
i guess it wont help him to see me feel bad for him? wont that just be reinforcement of his probably already sad/tired behavior?
should i just try to be happy/calm around him to make him feel like what happened was a positive thing?
but let's be honest getting your balls chopped off cant be fun, i just want to give my little guy the best experience i can.
This is the first dog that we are personally getting neutered, our other male dog who is already neutered, and was so when we got him (at age 3 from a nice lady who no longer had time to take care of him(he is now and old 12 year old boy)) so i didnt get to experience his behavior after his neutering.
Any advise would be appreciated!

- Tekar from Denmark. :wave:

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Just act normal. Your dog may be a little sore (make sure to limit his activity), but otherwise fine. Dogs recover really quickly after a neuter!

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
You're welcome! Oh, and one more thing -- neutered dogs usually don't need as many calories as intact ones, so you may have to cut back on his food a little. Just keep an eye on his weight and make sure he doesn't start to look chubby.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Agree with everything that's been said. Make it 'no big deal' when you take him in and pick him up. My poodle was groggy the first day (after the anesthesia), but after that it was a challenge keeping him quiet for the required 10 days! My boy was VERY thin pre-neuter, was not a good eater at all, and now he's finally put on weight and looks good instead of starved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts