Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

Ive never had an issue with my Pit-Boxer growling. She is very good with both of my kids playing with her, never seems to be bothered.

Few weeks ago she had a tick on the inside of her ear, she was scared when I was trying to remove it. Must of been on a sensitive part of her skin, I finally got it but she was terrified to let me clean it good. While trying to clean it, she did growl(however it was my fault cause I pretty much cornered :( her) So I left her alone.

Fast forward to this morning at 3:30 am she started flapping her ears and shaking her head constantly. So I took her downstairs, she layed on our living room floor. When I went to go try and wipe her ears because they were dirty and red, she let out slight growl and ran away.

I dont think the tick is the cause of it. She had an ear infection when she was a puppy but never growled.

She is typically a very overly playful dog, should i be concerned at all?

Im just going to take her to the vet for her ear

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think the 2nd growl was due to discomfort from ear pain. Definitely take her to the vet to be evaluated.

The growling itself is good communication to tell you that she does not like what you are doing. Unfortunately, sometimes they have to tolerate medical treatments even if they don't like them. However, once the vet determines what is going on they can determine the treatment.

I would tell your children to avoid touching her ears & head until after your vet visit. If the ear is painful to touch, they don't want to accidentally cause pain or cause the dog to feel like growling is not getting her message across. If you had swimmer's ear (for example), it would be very painful & just touching the outside of the ear hurts - so you would not want someone touching it unless they were a medical professional that was going to treat it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 2nd growl was due to discomfort from ear pain. Definitely take her to the vet to be evaluated.

The growling itself is good communication to tell you that she does not like what you are doing. Unfortunately, sometimes they have to tolerate medical treatments even if they don't like them. However, once the vet determines what is going on they can determine the treatment.

I would tell your children to avoid touching her ears & head until after your vet visit. If the ear is painful to touch, they don't want to accidentally cause pain or cause the dog to feel like growling is not getting her message across. If you had swimmer's ear (for example), it would be very painful & just touching the outside of the ear hurts - so you would not want someone touching it unless they were a medical professional that was going to treat it!
Thank you Caro! I am going to take her to the vet today. Now that i think about it, she jumped in the pool last week.
My kids are 2 and 8 months. She is super good with them, she really only runs from me when i pet her ear because she knows what I am up to lol. But i will keep the kids away to be safe.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Yep, a vet check is needed. For working with her, check out these videos on counter conditioning: Donna Hill, Sophia Yin nail trim, Sophia Yin blowing in face. I would be careful with her around your children as dogs and kids can be unpredictable. There are a few web sites about dog-child safety that you may have seen. You might also look up resources on dog body language and/or calming signals. Very often there are subtle signs that a dog is uncomfortable long before he growls. If you can recognize those signs, you can prevent added stress and escalation of situations.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts