Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted few months ago about my Zen (A sheprador mix of labrador, German/Belgian Shepherd) now a 1.3 year old. Unfortunately, I castrated him because of a female dog in neighborhood and they secretly mated and produce 1 puppy.
Now, after 3 months of castration I started to see lots of changes and it make me depress, he is not my old Zen anymore.

He was NEVER a troublesome dog always friendly and want to play with other dogs and never hurt anyone a very happy dog.

Following changes I noticed :

1. Eating habits - He lost apetite most of it, he is also very selective these days in food, sometime he don't eat at all (on his usual time) but stares me. I used to give him BARF food once a while, so that comes to rescue these days.

2. Sad face - He exhibits this a lot, sometime he sits alone quietly and lost interests in many things that he usdo earlier.

3. Scared easily - This came as bit surprise to me.

4. Became too close to me - He really make crying sound now if he sees me leaving or behind the glass door and he is not let in. He always finds me and don't want to go anywhere on quite day in garden.

5. Stomach issues - I have a feeling he has it, he was once licking his ass and making those motion with his ass down, I immediately gave him those de-worming tablets, cannot say it helped.

6. Lost interest - He plays with her daughter a lot but earlier he used to be more active, but not anymore, he give up friendly fight easily, making look his daughter (3 month old now) dominant day by day.

7. Weight gain - Especially in chest area and look bulky now.

He sure make me feel guilty and each time I see his gf and daughter playing but he stays behind (he never used to be like this before castration) makes me feel sad. When he got his first daughter he used to always stay with neighbor house and that time it was few weeks after castration, but now you can clearly see the difference.

Although he is not aggressive or anything he is more friendly now but he is easily scared with sounds or something sudden.

I would like to know your experience with your dog after castration, to see if I can relate with mine. Because to me it really looks not normal and depressing.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would take him to the vet and ask for a full thyroid panel. A lot of the symptoms you mentioned remind me of a thyroid issue.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I would take him to the vet and ask for a full thyroid panel. A lot of the symptoms you mentioned remind me of a thyroid issue.
Agree ^^^ (although I'd ask for a general workup for those symptoms rather than one specific test even though they really seem to fit hypothyroidism).

I had my younger dog evaluated by a vet behaviorist for fearfulness and related behaviors, and asked about the effect of neutering on his behavior and fear issues. She stated that she has not seen any evidence supporting behavior changes after altering except in the case of sex-specific behaviors.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Some of these behaviors might also just be related to getting older and developing more of their adult personality.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
#5 could be anal sac buildup. Ask about this at the vet's office. If not emptied they can get infected and even burst.

#7 If he is getting heavy then you are overfeeding him. Cut back on how much he is getting. Young dogs can need more than grown dogs. Desexed dogs tend to need less food than intact dogs.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I agree, take your dog to the vet. Some of these symptoms are not related to a neuter. I've heard the weight gain can be, but you may be overfeeding. Being overweight can make a dog less energetic, too. Still, to be on the safe side, schedule a trip to the vet.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Dogs change as they age whether they are neutered or not. At almost a year and a half, he is filling out with maturity and that has nothing to do with neutering. He probably does not need to eat as much food as when he was younger which is a good thing or he would get too fat. There could be something bothering him so a trip to the Vet is a good thing to do.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
none of this has anything to do with being neutered.... he is at an age now that his adult characteristics are now starting to show, would have happened no matter what. neutering does slow metabolism, so you do need to feed less, but castrating itself does not cause weight gain. I would get him checked out though, some of these things could be signs of underlying health issues, but others are just normal growing up things.

·
Registered
935 Posts
none of this has anything to do with being neutered.... he is at an age now that his adult characteristics are now starting to show, would have happened no matter what. neutering does slow metabolism, so you do need to feed less, but castrating itself does not cause weight gain. I would get him checked out though, some of these things could be signs of underlying health issues, but others are just normal growing up things.
Disagree a lot unless you can tell me what breed the owner has as to when a average maturity should be. [I don't see it listed]
The SPCA and RSPCA both even agree it may cause weight gain in some dogs do to the fact that it can slow the metabolism. [One is a direct result of the other] You even admit it and try to deflect in your statement.
There are far to many studies as to dogs that have raised issues with a early neutered dog and it's behavior to just ignore.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I think quite a bit depends on whether this was a sudden change - say over the course of a week - or a more gradual change - over the course of several months. It might be difficult to really pinpoint. It never hurts to talk to your vet about concerns and have a quick check up as a first step.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all.I went to vet and he said 2 things:
1. Anal sac was full so he cleaned it now.
2. He commented about his weight and he is overweight so he put Zen on diet :). Royal canin diet management (I must add its expensive) any alternative.

Finger crossed I am happy that he will be ok now.

You guys and gals rock :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
2. He commented about his weight and he is overweight so he put Zen on diet :). Royal canin diet management (I must add its expensive) any alternative.

Glad you got to the vet and there's nothing serious wrong. The anal sac issue could have been making him feel generally icky.

You might find that feeding less of his regular food and increasing his exercise a bit helps him shed the extra pounds without needing special diet food.

Hope he's back to normal soon!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts

Generally, feeding less will do the same thing. Measure out his food everyday. Unless the vet gave a very specific reason he needed to be on a special, expensive food.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I had my dog neutered at 14 mos and he didnt change a bit LOL;

Everyone told me his metabolism would slow down- nope.
Everyone told me he would lose some of his energy and / or "calm down"- HUGE nope.

though when he was intact, he never was bad, either so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I am back again with slight update my Zen is totally changed after neutering and I would appeal to all dog lovers there that NEVER go for castration may be vasectomy or some chemical castration (temporary) but no chopping off balls. I so hate to see him like he is now, he lost all his interest and stares at me all the time. He sometime shows some energy but later he want to sit/sleep quite. He even sits in front of my and if I am relaxing and doing something on my phone, he "soft" bark at me saying he is bored. He has only daughter Benji, he used to play with her a lot but these days she also started dominating him, because of his lacklustre interest in friendly fight.
When I give some treats and if Benji finishes it fast (she always do) she run towards her father (Zen) and tries to snatch his treat and he never fight back and let her eat it.
This is not LOVE because earlier he used to fend her off but now (since 1 week) he don't bother, he stop greeting Benji but she is all over him when she sees him. He became some saint or priest at least he acts like one.

I was happy with my old Zen he was not trouble maker, only because my neighbour dog is a bitch and when she is in heat he was crazy all the time, and also I cannot train him good to ignore bitch in heat, I had to castrate him for not having unnecessary puppies, but I could have gone for other means, his body structure is also changing, he has increased growth in chest region (as I posted earlier too) and he look like a big dog with small face. He became very moody too, I know all this in so detail because I was working from home since few weeks and was constantly in my garden with my dog and his daughter while I work. I was observing all the changes closely, what I see is not encouraging.

1. If I close the glass door of my patio for the dog to not disturb me, he after few minutes loose interest in playing and wants to come in with me all the time, he wants to be close with me more than earlier.
2. If I leave my couch I always find him sitting on it when I come back in the room (even for short time), as if he is waiting for me to leave.
3. He lost his interest in his food. And I see some sometime aggressively licking his ass, but this behaviour is not consistent, I think he has some worms, I schedule an appointment with vet, he asked me to bring his stool.

Image of Zen and his daughter Benji
WhatsApp-Image-20160609.jpg

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
You will never know whether he would have changed like this whether he was neutered or not. At his age he is going to fill out more especially if he is putting on weight. Adult dogs usually settle down as they get older and may not be as playful as they were as a puppy. From your description I cannot see anything that is unusual and nothing you can blame on the neutering.

Do you do any training with your dog? Take him for walks? Maybe he is just bored and needs something new to do.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Whether or not he 'changed' because of being neutered, it sounds like YOU have a lot of ambivalence about having to have the procedure done. Is it possible that YOU are acting different towards him? Some dogs are highly sensitive to their owner's moods & this can affect how they act. One of my girls gets quite 'mopey' (for lack of a better description) when I'm in a bad mood or upset about something, even if it's completely unrelated to the dogs.

Get his medical issues taken care of (worms? anal gland issues? etc) and then stop obsessing. Take him for a walk, sign up for a class, go to a new place for a hike - try training some new, fun tricks or behaviors. It sounds like a lot of your 'concerns' are centered around the fact that he wants to be with you or near you? Is this really a problem for you? Why don't you spend some special time with him & see if it doesn't just perk him up?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
True the time a dog should be altered depends on their breed, size, etc. To be safe, let's just say that preferably, no dogs should be fixed until after their growth plates are confirmed closed via x ray ... now there is no set age for this, Lincoln's were closed when I neutered him back in November.

Of course it is also your choice (provided you didnt sign a contract with the dogs breeder) whether you want to fix your dog or not, it is a common myth that fixing a dog cures all behavioral problems, it doesnt. No more than leaving them intact will create them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
From what I know, neutering affects testosterone and sexual based behaviours, not the dogs personality.

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200520/dogs/1000/dog_neutering
http://blog.adoptandshop.org/does-spaying-neutering-change-personality/

If you reject your dog now he has "changed", I am not sure what to say. All dogs change, especially when maturing. Maturing dogs can change a lot, and some breeds more than others.
And of course, they can change depending on the environment around them and what they learn and feel.
And example of a change would be fear stages when growing up, or a change in behavior when adopted and settled into a family.

As well as human nature is to really focus and exaggerate on these kinds of changes and differences when they notice it, whether the change is obvious or subtle, important or ridiculous

1 - 19 of 19 Posts