Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today marks 7 weeks with my foster dog Duncan. I've been crating him when he can't be directly supervised and overnight since he's been with me. Every time he goes in the crate he gets a treat. I tried putting a stuffed kong in the crate with him when I left for work at the start but he really won't work very hard for food and he wouldn't eat much of it so I stopped that.

Since day one he'd been fine in the crate no whining/crying and only barking briefly at strange sounds from outside. Last weekend I got up to let the dogs out to potty and feed breakfast like normal around 7am and then head back to bed for a few hours. Normal weekend routine, Duncan goes back in the crate until I get up and we go for a walk. Starting last weekend when I put him back in his crate and went back to bed I heard him whining/crying. I went down to check on him as he'd never done that before, let him out of the crate and took him out to potty again just in case. Back in the crate and back to bed for me. He starts whining again and I just ignore him and he gives up pretty quickly. Sunday he does the same thing only I didn't come down to check on him this time and there are a few barks mixed in with the whining, again ignored and stopped after not too long.

Friday night (last night) I put him in his crate for the night and he's fine for 45min-1 hour and then he starts up the whining and barking. He keeps this up off and on for close to 2 hours before quitting for the night. If he does this again on a weeknight when I have to get up for work I'm not going to be happy.

Every night both dogs get a dentastix at bed time, both LOVE them. I noticed about a week ago that Duncan wasn't eating his when I gave it to him when he got in his crate. When I let him out in the morning he'd run out with the dentastix and eat it then. After a few days of that I started breaking off about a 1 inch chunk and giving him the rest out of his crate to eat and the 1 inch chunk after he finished and got in the crate. Him running out with a full dentastix in the morning would eventually lead to a scuffle with Jubel if he noticed so it was best to avoid that possibility.

So yeah... It looks like the more time that passes with Duncan here and the more trust he's earned to more out of crate time the more he's starting to dislike his crate. When he first got here he'd go in the crate on his own to rest so he did like it to start. Any suggestions to help him like it again? He still can't be trusted not to mark in the house 100% so he has to still be crated some.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
If Duncan were just more food motivated! Eddee tried the same thing with me. I went straight back to meals in his crate and a Kong stuff-a-ball filled with treats and peanut butter. I made it 20 minute intervals between in the crate ... and out of the crate. So far ... so good. Of course the house is one floor besides the basement ... so he can still see me while I am re-introducing it. I go to the grocery weekly ... tomorrow ... and I feel confident he will only cry a bit after I leave ... I hope. :/

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't crate, but I can tell you this is normal. When we first got kabota, he didn't seen to notice when we left him alone on the first floor to go upstairs or down to the studio. At about 3 months, he started howling- full volume- after 30 seconds. Which was a bit of a problem as my husband records clients during the day. I wish I could say we solved the problem, but now kabota just comes and goes into the studio as he pleases.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I'm just going to have to power through and ignore any and all whining/barking. Hopefully the 'phase' will pass quickly. Though this morning getting him back into the crate wasn't as easy as usual. I had to get higher value treats out for him to get in the crate, he cried a little bit shortly after but not too bad. He used to go crazy for the freeze dried liver, now the only high value treat are the salmon & sweet potato treats or dentastix at bed time.

This is on top of not eating his breakfast. Haha feeding him in his crate isn't an option as he won't eat it and I'd have to actively keep Jubel away from the crate. Duncan may not eat the food I put in his crate with him but he WILL defend it if Jubel gets too close. So Duncan gets about 15 minutes tops to eat his meals in the kitchen (gated) and if doesn't eat we try again at the next meal time.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... whining and barking may not be the worst thing to deal with. He's progressively getting harder and harder to get in the crate "by choice." I haven't physically forced him yet but I might need to if he continues like this. He really wants the fish treats just slightly more than not going in the crate, took a few minutes of 'internal conflict' for him to go in the crate this morning. I think not going in the crate will win out over fish treats pretty soon.

I'm on the fence about dog proofing the kitchen a bit more and leaving him in there. I really don't want to 'give in' to his new developing refusal of the crate but I was getting close to willing to try him out for the short time between me leaving for work and my brother returning from work. Not liking the possibility of him peeing in the kitchen but there really isn't any better place in our house to confine him without carpet.

I've been bad and haven't been doing as much NILF with him as I planned, mostly because it is so hard to get him to 'work' for anything BUT a desired treat. He doesn't care about his food, hard enough just to get him to eat let alone have him sit for his food. Yesterday I did make him sit before we left the house for a walk. Took about 5 minutes to get a sit in the morning, in the afternoon he wouldn't sit and I ended up putting him in his crate and taking Jubel for a walk alone. When we got back I let him out and got a sit from him as I put on his slip lead, and took another 5 minutes to get another sit from him to go out the door for a short walk. All he knows is sit so that's all I can ask for and he isn't very inclined to do so simply because I asked. He also doesn't seem to be that smart so I don't expect him to pick up on the concept that fast.

And no I'm not saying his isn't smart because I haven't been able to teach him any new commands. He really hasn't seemed to pick up a lot of simple environmental cues like it's easier to balance in a moving car when you sit down or lie down and I've taken him on a number of drives just for the socialization experience, he stumbles and falls a lot from turns and acceleration that are in no way 'extreme.' He never completely got used to dragging the leash around with him which he did for close to the first 2 weeks. Until the last day he'd still spaz out like something grabbed him if he stepped on the leash, still does when we get home from a walk and I let him go get a drink before removing the leash. A number of little things like that, he doesn't seem to figure things out very quickly if at all. Jubel is definitely a thinker who figures things out so maybe it's just in comparison, I'm used to a problem solving dog and Duncan is not.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Sounds like he is an "All about me" kind of guy. Also I am looking in my minds eye at what you are describing ... looks like he is a bit stubborn? .... he is a thinker alright! Lol! :) This is very similar to Eddee. I know he has the smarts ... just when "He" wants to use the mental power. I have seen him think and do well.

The crate ordeal is a tricky one when you have a dog who does not care for food. :(

I tried to re-crate train Abbylynn ... She will only hold still for it if I am in the room ... or else she will break out of it and injure herself or get her jaws stuck in the metal wires ... for sure. A safe room proved to be a mistake also. Abbylynn ate the wooden framework and the wall insulation to get out.

Believe it or not ... the solution was to give her full run of the house ... and there has not been any more problems at all!

The kitchen may be your solution ... just be sure he doesn't like woodwork. :/

Wish I had an answer. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sort of having the same issue except with a room and not crate. My BM for some reason HATES to be in his room now while i'm at work or sleeping. However, the BF doesn't want him to roam the house while we aren't there either. He manages to get out of his room EVERYDAY and if it comes to him hurting himself trying to get or just having free range, then free range of the house it is. The only place he is not allowed is the living room b/c it has wood floors (and he knows he cant walk around in there) bc he tears them up. I will put a blanket out for him and let him lie on that but dont leave it for when i'm gone. I may try switching him to the laundry room instead and see how that goes. :(

I also have a lab mix that gave me fits about going into her kennel when i left for work but after rewarding her with treats, she has no prob jumping right in!

best of luck!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Have you tried changing the crate? Putting a sheet over it, moving it to a different location with a different view?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts