Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(Hi friends,
I had a puppy "KoOKy" and the sign "oO" is not for nth,these are my eyes!! :(
Kooky is terrier-japanses spitz 3 months old,and I love hime so much,and I hate to slap him, but some times he needs it, such when he bite my mum and blood were every where. so what shoud I do to correct him from biting,I know he is teething,but its not an excuse!
My 2nd issue is,how to let him know(train him) ,not to enter some specific places,such as behind the table full of wiers!!!!!!
:eek:
please guys help me its my 1st puppy in my life

BTW he is so smart,command "down" took me only 2 days to let him know it and apply it,so anything could help me out!!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Never hit your dog. When he bites be sure to yell "OWWWW" and give him an appropriate chewing toy made for teething puppies. Have LOTS of chew toys around so that he learns to choose a toy rather than a person.

For now you may want to gate off areas where you don't want the dog to go. And work on some obedience lessons.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The house should be puppy proofed just like you would baby proof the house....no dangerous wires, poisons, etc. It's much easier to do that than trying to train the dog to leave those things alone.
Why the bite? What happened? Did someone threaten him/try to punish him? Slapping makes the biting worse and becomes more frequent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started the "OWWWW" thing and its working till now.
but there isnt there any other way to prevent him from entering those places else to gate them?? because this place is in our living room!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If you have to install gates to keep him safe then that's what you'll have to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
guyz!! the "OWWW" is not working anymore!!!! :(((
just tell me why I cant slap slightly my dog with a big no,so the next time I say no he will expect a slight slap and stop what he is doing!!!
its the same way we all use with our babies!!! my friend has my pup's sis and from the beginning he did what I just mentioned and every thing is ok with him!!
I feel so ediot when my puppy is biting my pant,hands,feet..... and I just sya "OOWWWWW" like he is stronger than ME!!!!!!
how am I gonna enforce my domminance!!!!
plz guyz help, its my 1st puppy with no previous exp!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Forget the dominance notion...that's part of the problem here. It's not a contest of wills or strength. It's about mutual trust and confidence...a team...a partnership.
Biting is the only thing puppies have to play with. If the OWW doesn't work then, walk away. Don't look at him or talk to him. Show him that when he bites all play and all attention comes to a quick halt.
Give him toys that he can play with/chew on Kongs, Buster Cubes, Tug a Jug, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Forget the dominance notion...that's part of the problem here. It's not a contest of wills or strength. It's about mutual trust and confidence...a team...a partnership.
Biting is the only thing puppies have to play with. If the OWW doesn't work then, walk away. Don't look at him or talk to him. Show him that when he bites all play and all attention comes to a quick halt.
Give him toys that he can play with/chew on Kongs, Buster Cubes, Tug a Jug, etc.
ok i'll try the ignore thing now!
but if i crated him when his bits me is it the same as ignoring him?
and about the toys he has a lot !!! and broke them all!! Oo looking for some monsters toys to buy :p

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Not sure what you mean by crating and biting....are you trying to push him into the crate and then he bites or, is he biting and then you're trying to crate him? In the first instance the crate training has not been done. In the 2nd instance you have to stop all attention (no looking/no touching/no talking...no crate....nothing).

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
You have a 3 month old J-Spitz X Terrier mix who bites and acts crazy. This surprises you...why?

You should adjust your expectations to include a certain amount of barking, biting, and mischief of all kinds. It's what puppies do. Work on training the dog's attention, and take him for lots of exercise. Expect to lose some blood and the occasional pair of shoes before the pup starts acting like a civilized member of society.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure what you mean by crating and biting....are you trying to push him into the crate and then he bites or, is he biting and then you're trying to crate him? In the first instance the crate training has not been done. In the 2nd instance you have to stop all attention (no looking/no touching/no talking...no crate....nothing).
no its the 2nd instance ( when he bites me, i creat him) but if he bites me and i did nth,wont he just continue what he is doing even if I said"no,bad boy".....
isnt it the same as leaving him playing with his chew-toy :confused:
sry for asking again but I need details :cool:

and what is "Work on training the dog's attention..." you mean sit,down,....??
and "take him for lots of exercise..." you mean like a walk??

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
When he bites....you say UTTT or NO and immediately walk away...do not take him to his crate.
I urge you to enroll him in a puppy class where they teach attention games, show examples of some great toys, cover basic obedience, socialization, confidence building, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When he bites....you say UTTT or NO and immediately walk away...do not take him to his crate.
I urge you to enroll him in a puppy class where they teach attention games, show examples of some great toys, cover basic obedience, socialization, confidence building, etc.
:( just a question, when I ignore him and say bad boy,he starts to bark a bite and then come bite me again even before I got out the room!! can you explain this?
then if you trained your dogS by yourself,I want to do that too!! I'm patient enough and I love to see the results of my own work, rather than to send him and some stranger train him!! so please help me (all of you) with your experiance!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
He's demanding your attention and doesn't want you to leave by barking and biting. It has worked for him...you lavished attention on him/came back to him and he doesn't care at all if it's 'bad' attention.
When you leave, watch him out of the corner of your eye. If he lunges to bite you quickly step toward him...invade his space/make him stop in his tracks..... and then leave the room.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's demanding your attention and doesn't want you to leave by barking and biting. It has worked for him...you lavished attention on him/came back to him and he doesn't care at all if it's 'bad' attention..
man I didnt understand this satement?! sorry :(
then should I wait for him to stop barking before I come back again?!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
man I didnt understand this satement?! sorry :(
then should I wait for him to stop barking before I come back again?!
Let's see if this helps: When he barks at you or bites you he is saying....."Listen to me!....Pay attention to me!" When your head snaps around to look at him and tell him to be quiet....you are paying full attention. That's exactly what he wanted.
That isn't good attention though. Good attention is praising the dog for sitting politely, laying quietly at your feet, playing nicely with his toys, etc. That's what you need to teach him and that's what earns your attention.
Yes, you wait for him to stop barking. When you come back in the room and he's just standing, sitting or laying quietly....that's when you praise for the good behavior. The good behaviors earn attention, not the bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let's see if this helps: When he barks at you or bites you he is saying....."Listen to me!....Pay attention to me!" When your head snaps around to look at him and tell him to be quiet....you are paying full attention. That's exactly what he wanted.
That isn't good attention though. Good attention is praising the dog for sitting politely, laying quietly at your feet, playing nicely with his toys, etc. That's what you need to teach him and that's what earns your attention.
Yes, you wait for him to stop barking. When you come back in the room and he's just standing, sitting or laying quietly....that's when you praise for the good behavior. The good behaviors earn attention, not the bad.
MAN I love you!!:D thx a lot for beeing so patient with me!!:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts