Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog would never stop pulling on leash no matter how many training methods i try.
I asked my vet ,searched the internet and read a dozen of guides and article about how to solve this nasty habit.
I tried every single one of them for the past 4 months.
I tried to stop and be a tree when she pulls, i tried harnesses and lots of collars and i even did the once she pulls walking time is over and i carry her back home went like that for a week with her walking 2 steps max a day then i gave up.she even once got me so angere (a car almost hit her) so i spanked her and i regret it.
I really don't know what to do. We don't have obedience classes or dog trainers in my country so i got no one to go for help
I really think my dog have some mental problems because once she's outside the door she will forget everything about me she wont look at me no matter how hard i call her she wont even smell her treats which she loves inside the house.
And it's not like she doesn't get enough exercies i take her for 1 and a half hour walk a day and on weekends i go to my parents place with a 40kft square yard with ducks and chickens to play with.
Please any advice would be so great.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've tried the tree thing too and it hasn't worked for me yet. The best thing that worked for me was just turning and going the other way, so randomly and frequently that the dog starts to pay attention to see where the heck you're going to go next lol. The best place to work on this is in a large grassy area in a park so you have lots of room for all those random about turns etc. And you HAVE to be consistent with it, not try it a few times and then switch to another method. It can be done with a training collar, but I never use one to do this.

What kinds of treats are you using? Moist? Biscuits? Have you tried microwaved hot dog cubes? Spam? Cheese?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I really think my dog have some mental problems because once she's outside the door she will forget everything about me she wont look at me no matter how hard i call her she wont even smell her treats which she loves inside the house.
She doesn't have mental problems--she's just being a dog. Outside offers all kinds of excitement: new scents, grass, flowers, etc. She's just excited to be outside.

I'll check for a stickie about pulling. If I find one, I'll add a link here.

ETA: Here it is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually use dogs chocolate treats, dog biscuits, some checken meat treats i buy at the set store or apples pulp.
I'll give hotdog a try but i don't think it's going to work.
She's just too distracted she can't concentrat at all.
Inside the house she's very obedient it's just outside.
Oh i forgot to say she's almost 9 months old bichon puppy which i found stray.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The loose leash link is an excellent one. The critical part is teaching her exactly where you want her to be....at your side, behind you...wherever....and that's the spot that consistently gets all the treats and the praise.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
She is doing what any dog would do.. she is out side and the WORLD is an EXCITING and INTERESTING place. Much more interesting than walking on a leash or doing what you would like. ;)

You have good suggestions here. The main thing is to be consistant. Never give up. It is frustrating. Reversing or going in a different direction the minute the dog hits the end of the leash and starts to pull works well.. but it will take time. The first few walks you may only manage to go 20 feet or so.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I would say if you've tryed every single training method in only 4 months, then there is no way you did any of the methods long enough or consistantly for any of them to work.

you have to stick with ONE method and then stick to it and be cosistant for a while say maybe 2 months. and THEN switch to a different method if the other one isn't working.

pulling on a leash isn't going to be fixed in a week.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Dogs don't generalize well so behaviors learned at home don't always translate to outside. I would advise moving the collar up on the dogs neck and under her chin. Pull straight up slightly lifting the dogs head off the ground. This gives you total control over the dog and put the dog behind you, beside you, whatever position you want the dog in. The dog can only pull down and that's about it. After walking in this position for a while click and treat the dog so the dog learns that this is the position you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts