Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got home from a major eye exam. I could hardly see a thing due to various drops they used. Sam wanted to go out. We are walking along about a mile from home and she sticks her nose in what looked like a gopher hole.

@&$#%. .. A cloud of the nastiest yellow and black bees I've ever seen poured out. Sam's coat is very long and thick so she only got a couple on her muzzle. I had bees swarming all over me. I got stung in both ears, nose, eyelids, eyebrows, top of my head, a couple got in my pants leg and got me way up! Not funny.

I got us across the street so we could run a little while I was swatting at them. Finally about 200 yds down the road we got away from all but a few. I swatted at them all the way home. Cussing all the way.

Once inside it looked like we had it made......oh no. Sam shakes a little and 4 more come out of her coat. She takes off barking and snapping at them. I got a towel and another ten minutes I got the last of them.

I hope y'all are having fun ROTFLYAO.. I'm not..my ears look like dumbo ears and one eye is half closed and there are lumps everywhere. I tried hot and cold shower but I'm still miserable. Tomorrow and Fri I have big time physical exams. My blood pressure will probably be thru the roof. There will be enough poison in me they will think I'm a new kind of druggie.

Ouch

·
Registered
766 Posts
Not anything to laugh at. Sounds like yellow jacket wasps and hornets.
You can get very ill from as many bites as you had. Glad you're seeing
a doctor tomorrow.
Hope you feel better soon and that Sam is okay.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That is horrifying! Only a few stings can make you good and sick as you now know, you don't have to be allergic to get into big trouble. Please let us know how it goes at the doctor's office. I hope there is something that can help you feel better faster.

Just before Max's first agility run ever a yellow jacket got tangled in his coat. All ended well but how to get out a stinging insect with no brush/comb without panicking an already nervy dog?

In summer yellow jackets come around while the dogs are eating their raw food. I move the dogs inside and do the extra work of mopping floors, so not messing with those things!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Oh no! I hope you heal quickly!

Watson has been attacked by the same type of ground wasps, once at our house and once on a hike. Those things are super aggressive! I'm not sure that he was stung (never felt any swelling) but it was traumatic enough that he's afraid of any large buzzing bugs now. One lonely yellow jacket and he's done with the outdoors for a while. Last night in agility he flipped out when a common fly was buzzing around us.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
About a month ago I went to go take the garbage out to the alleyway bin. I swung the lid open like usual and it banged against the garage siding as usual, except this time a very loud buzzing started up. I looked up and sure enough the bin swung against the siding and bumped a thin tree, which in turn poked a hole in their nest that they built along the roof of the garage. 15+ wasps flew out and were surveying the damage while I stood as still as I could not really sure what to do.
Then they attacked.
Stung in the wrist, ankle, neck(x2), butt and shoulder while I ran for it.

It hurt SO BAD, you don't realize how much a little bite/sting can hurt being so tiny.

Sans was in the backyard and thankfully didn't experience the wasps wrath. I feel you.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
When I've been stung, I take an over the counter anti-histamine, such as Claritin, which is like benadryl, and will help reduce swelling ... which may get worse overnight. Your eye may swell closed, and you might consider rescheduling the physical, but go to the doctor anyway for the drugs.

Without drugs the swelling can last 1 - 2 weeks, with drugs, maybe only 3 days.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, thanks for the concerns. Fortunately I seem to be relatively immune to the bad effects. Other that a bunch of small itchy lumps I'm ok. Medical says I'm pure lucky, this can change with the next event. I'll ask about it in my upcoming exams.

Sam is ok. She did get a couple stings on her belly which doesn't have the heavy coat of fur. She loves having her belly rubbed so I used some dog shampoo on a wet cloth to clean her then some Bactine like stuff my ex wife left for our late terrier. It seemed to help. I didn't want her to scratch and chew herself. So she is ok.

During the "battle" I only had my hat to swat at the bees and I was more concerned about Sam than me. I had to swipe the hat so it didn't REALY strike her but yet knocked the bees down. I didn't want her to think I was swatting her. I think there was enough action that she more or less disregarded it. Last night after we calmed down and had an evening snack I got my hat and waved it around gently to see if I had a problem but Sam just thought I was playing so it's ok I think. I even tried it outside on the night potty walk and she just ignored it.

There are a few flies and bugs when we are herding training so I hope this doesn't become a distraction. Our Wed afternoon class was canceled due to excess heat so I won't know until next week.

We'll go for a long walk today past the bee nest but I know exactly where it is so we will avoid it. Sam is pretty resilient so I think she will be ok.

Thanks again for the concerns.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That is scary!! Yes you can become allergic at any time and the more you get stung the greater possibility of having an allergic reaction. Most likely those dang yellowjackets. This was Angel last year when Maya stirred up a nest of them but never got stung, poor Angel was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was getting them off of Maya and one ended up stinging Angel....

She had to get the cone cause she kept pawing at it. Gave her benedryl and she swelling went down pretty quickly...
IMG_7643a8 by rzyg, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
This year we have had very few yellow jacket wasps around. We did have unusually hot weather so I was really surprised on Sunday to have to swat at one just as I went into the Agility ring. Some years they are relentless and you can't eat outside. A few years ago some kind of wasp (a fair sized black one) built a big round nest on the bar along the roof my storage shed. I could not go into it for a while until I got up the nerve to spray it one night with that long range wasp spray. The nest has hung there for a few years but is finally falling apart now. Someone said leaving it would stop others from trying to build one.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have anything against bees in general. Live and let live. I'd be pretty mad too if some giant alien broke into my home. Definitely come out swinging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts