On Thursday Kylie puked in the morning, and I didn't think much of it, fed her breakfast which she ate. I didn't think much of it because early morning hunger vomiting isn't too strange for her. But then a couple of hours after eating breakfast, she threw up again. At that point red flags started waving for me - I know my dog and her patterns and eat food eagerly then throw up is not up there - so we went to the vet.
At the vet she got an x-ray because like me they suspected a blockage. The x-ray wasn't super indicative, so follow up from that was staying the day getting a barium swallow study which showed, yet, nothing moving. So, she had surgery on Friday morning where they retrieved a chewed up, flattened,plastic bottle cap blocking the exit to her stomach. She came home yesterday (Saturday) after a follow up barium x-ray showed decent emptying, with all the meds.
She's got a bit longer before she's entirely clear from risk, but she's home and pretty happy. Huge stapled up incision and bald tummy but recovering all right.
But take this as your PSA because my vet told me bluntly that most people wait. They wait at least a day or two of regular vomiting or weeks if it's a partial blockage and causing occasional vomiting. Meanwhile the dog is losing weight, losing hydration, and the foreign body is causing internal damage. All of it making the surgery riskier and harder on the dog.
And, as another vet told me, you do the surgery because you suspect/there's an inconclusive result on x-ray and you're wrong? Most dogs do fine. You WAIT? Most outcomes are not good.