Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"beefy stix" treats? dog health food store owner claims they're healthy, but...

this is the ingredients list:

"beef, meat by-products, soy flour, sugar, dextrose, salt, propylene glycol, natural smoke flavor, spices, potassium sorbate, red #40, sodium nitrite, citric acid"

needless to say, when the owner pointed me to these treats, calling them doggie crack, I pointed to the by-products listed and said no thank you. She said she called the manufacturer before they would carry them and the "by-products" consists of beef liver and heart.

stupidly, I bought them, trusting that the owner of a healthy pet food store (which claims to be by-product-free as well as corn-free) would know what they're talking about... but looking at the salt, sugar, potassium sorbate and other horrors... I should probably return this... right? (It was something like $30... I've found only good reviews, but you never know if that's from someone who feeds their pup kibbles & bits or something.)

any other good/HEALTHY treats that are so yummy to dogs they're like doggie crack? I have freeze-dried beef liver but I don't want to give them too much of that each day.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Re: "beefy stix" treats? dog health food store owner claims they're healthy, but...

Me, personally, I put up a red flag at the 'by-products'. That's a no-no for me, and, im not sure, but sugar? I don't think thats healthy for dogs, but again, I'm not sure on that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: "beefy stix" treats? dog health food store owner claims they're healthy, but...

This site http://sequoiahumane.org/food_comparison/interpret.htm lists some healthy and unhealthy ingredients. Sugar, Soy,and salt and all on the unhealthy list. I don't think nitrites are healthy. They are bad for humans, and I doubt they are good for dogs. How much did $30 get you? I would think plain hot dogs would be cheaper and at least as healthy, probably healthier. I'm saying that hot dogs are health food for dogs, but I think I heard someone call hots dogs doggy crack before. If you're really looking for doggy crack. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks... I agree and will be returning the unopened package. it's 3 pounds which is 3 pounds of crap I will not be feeding my pups. appreciate your confirming what I was thinking....

·
Registered
20,766 Posts

GAH! $10 a pound for dog treats is more than I'd pay for even the bestest treats in the world. Especially when hot dogs cost about $1 a pound :D . So no way I'd pay that much for those treats.

·
Banned
51 Posts

Beef liver is not a by product and I don't think heart is either so you still don't know what by products are in there. Propylene glycol is basically antifreeze and is very poisonous. Dextrose is sugar so sugar is actually on the list twice. Red #40 is pretty bad also. I would be very angry at this store owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Beef liver is not a by product and I don't think heart is either so you still don't know what by products are in there. Propylene glycol is basically antifreeze and is very poisonous. Dextrose is sugar so sugar is actually on the list twice. Red #40 is pretty bad also. I would be very angry at this store owner.
antifreeze?? this store owner is going to have a very angry customer marching in tomorrow... and yes, food coloring has NO business being in something a dog consumes... I'm about to slap myself silly for buying this. thank you again for the replies.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

I almost couldn't believe it when I read that propylene glycol is basically anit-freeze. I looked the stuff up online and found this huge list of uses for this crap. Here's the list I found.

Propylene glycol is used:

* As a moisturizer in medicines, cosmetics, food, toothpaste, mouth wash, and tobacco products
* In electronic cigarettes to deliver vaporized nicotine
* As a medical and sexual lubricant (A.K.A. "personal lubricant")
* As an emulsification agent in Angostura and orange bitters
* As a solvent for food colors and flavorings
* As a humectant food additive, labeled as E number E1520
* As a cooling agent for beer and wine glycol jacketed fermentation tanks
* As a carrier in fragrance oils
* As a less-toxic antifreeze
* As a solvent used in mixing photographic chemicals, such as film developers
* In smoke machines to make artificial smoke for use in firefighters' training and theatrical productions
* In hand sanitizers, antibacterial lotions, and saline solutions
* In cryonics
* As a working fluid in hydraulic presses
* As a coolant in liquid cooling systems
* To regulate humidity in a cigar humidor
* As the killing and preserving agent in pitfall traps, usually used to capture ground beetles
* To treat livestock ketosis
* As the main ingredient in deodorant sticks.
* To de-ice aircraft.[4]
* UV Blacklite Tattoo Ink
It's a huge list of things I'd never want my dogs to ingest. Gah, that's a little scary to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts