Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 19 week old lab is crate trained and she doesn't wake us up at night...however she sometimes chews her cream coloured bed(only at night!) she won't do it at all during the day, even when we leave her...at first she wasnt overly keen on the crate but she warmed to it as soon as we put a nice snugly bed in there! 5 weeks later now! I wasn't bothered by this but now there is a massive hole through it :-/

...should we leave it in? Take it out? Replace it with her other bed which is same colour as crate floor/replace with blanket that doesn't have stuffing?

I'd rather her have a comfy bed but I want her to learn to not chew it...hard to teach if she doesn't display the wrong behaviour when I'm not there...will she even mind if the bed disappeared? The bottom of the crate is black plastic.

N.b. I dont want to put toys or chews in at night time!

Also, no matter what time we put her to bed she will wake up at 6- give or take 10 mims... How can we add another 30 or so mins to this...or is it a case of, just being patient?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is fine to leave a dog in a crate without bedding. This is more of a human emotion thinking our little ones are not comfortable. This would be one of those parenting debates.What i have learned and seen from many top trainers, PhD's and orginizations that they do not leave anything in there at night that the dog eats and chews so no beds at night. They do grow out of it once they learn
hey this is my place". I actually volunteer for one of the biggest working dog org.'s and they use no beds at night because a huge percentage of puppies cgew there beds. You can try a towel if it really bothers you to see puppy without bedding towles are much stronger.

hope this helps "great question"

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Does she make a lot of noise when she wakes up, whining for attention, etc.? If so, IMO the best way to stop that would be to ignore it until the time that you want her to "get up". It seems to me that a properly crate-trained dog would be just fine sitting in her crate for an extra half an hour (assuming she's not desperate for a pee at 6am and that's what wakes her up). Otherwise by letting her out of her crate at 6am you're teaching her that's the normal time she should get out of bed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We hear her in the morning sometimes about 4/5 her moving about...probably chewing her mat! She starts whining, and we always ignore this. She will eventually gently bark, which we got up to, although wouldn't go into living room until she stopped. The last couple of days we have started let her bark for 5 mins, next couple of days well let her 10 mins and so on until we want to get up! Is this the best approach? We take her out straight away and she does the toilet straight away. That said she's only 4.5 months, so to hold her bladder all night is pretty credible.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
She might like the bed b/c it smells good and chews good, rather than b/c it's good to sleep on ???

Labs chew and I don't see a problem with a night time Kong or hard rubber bone to chew, except for the noise.

As far as a mat or blanket, I agree that she doesn't need one. But, I give my Lab mix a piece of old carpet to sleep on and he's allowed to chew holes in it. However, you want to be careful about letting you pup chew things... if she then swallows them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts