Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have a Carolina Labski(Caolina Dog/Lab/Husky mix), thats 8 and a half months old.
She has a bad chewing habit and it even rolls into her beds, to the point that even if I just lay out a bed sheet--as she prefers to lay on even that rather than the floor--she and her half brother(a Carolina Staffski), will just wind up shredding it. Because of this, I can't even risk giving them so much as a pillow to lay on because the next time I go check on them, there will be cotton fluff all over the floor.

I just bought a nice, $40 bed for them to lay on and am even working on turning an old bed sheet into a dog pillow.

But... I need to know, does anyone else have this issue and if so, have you figured out the best way to resolve it?

I really wanna be able to trust them with a bed(Least till her brother can be brought to a Foster through Pet Partners. Then it will just be a her problem.) and even stuffed toys without worrying about them being obliterated.

I can't afford to keep going through replacing things and their toys look gross at this point with how many times I had to re-stitch them together.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As soon as my (Rottweiler) puppies got big enough they could shred stuffed toys, they stopped getting stuffed toys. There are other things you can give them like Kongs.

As to bedding, I've never had one that would shred a bed except in a crate, maybe because I would catch them at it and stop it before it got going, but crating was at night when I was asleep. Since I really wanted some padding in the crate, I got a Kong-made crate pad. They don't have much padding, but it's some, and they're made with a really tough fabric (Cordova?).

Anyway, still not trusting and worried about the future of even such a tough pad, I did something a lot of people wouldn't, but it worked. Since no puppy of mine was ever affected in any way by any regular Chew Stop products I tried, and every one was impressed by and avoided hot sauce, I ran a thin line of hot sauce around the outer edge of the pad - over the side from where the dog would lay and touch. After that dried thoroughly, I installed the pad. That was the end of crate pad chewing for my young dogs and once I was sure of that, I put a pad that did have more stuffing under the Kong pad. As adults none of that's necessary although I did keep one rescue foster who was such a turbo-destructo dog that kind of thing was necessary all her life.

My solution might not work except in a crate because in a crate the dog's body covers the center of a pad. They pretty much have to start chewing on the edges.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Reactions: parus

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My dog delights in pulling the stuffing out of things, so a fluffy bed is a no-go for him. The temptation is just too much for him. (I've managed to teach him that MY pillows are MINE and are not to be touched, let alone eviscerated, but I can hardly give him a bed and then not allow him to interact with the bed, lol.) He does fine with a flat plush mat, though. If your dog shreds any fabric, I was going to suggest Kuranda beds, but I see LeoRose already did :)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
We use bathmats here. Thicker than sheets and a little more resilient, way cheaper than dog beds. They still get dug at, grabbed, shook, and occasionally used for tug, but there's less damage that can be done to them, and lower risk of any ingestion.

Honestly, I'm mostly just waiting for my teenager to mature a little more. It's likely he'll be more okay with nicer beds once he's less... extra and has grown his adult brain in some more. Our older dog went through a similar (though shorter/less intense) phase, but he's a less intense dog overall so it was easier to manage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts