Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our hunt for our next dog (would like to get a puppy/be on a waiting list by the end of spring 2019) we've stumbled upon Beaucerons, and we think they may be a good fit for us. However, websites are inconsistent with their description, and since the closest breeder is about 15 hours away, I would love to confirm some things before making the trip to meet some in person.

Some inconsistencies we've found:
-some websites say they are dog aggressive, some say they are same-sex aggressive, some say they they're ok with dogs they're raised with but not strange dogs... which is it? I understand that a lot of it depends on lines, socialization and the individual but is there a common trend?
-when it comes to trainability, we've seen everything from: they are handler-focused and easy to train, they are independent and stubborn and very difficult to train, and females are easy to train while males are very hard to train.
-size: one website said 55-90lbs, another said 75-115lbs
-barking: haven't seen anything on this: are they pretty vocal?

And what we like about them/why we think they may be a good fit for us:
-their appearance, the way they're built, and the fact that they seem like they could handle our Canadian winters very well. We also like that their coat is low-maintenance, requiring only some brushing.
-high energy and smart, we're very interested in trying various dog sports such as scent work, agility, obedience, skijoring, etc. Not expecting the dog to be amazing at all of these, since we'd just be starting out, but a dog with enough energy/drive to at least try. Also, we love hiking, biking, horseback riding, so a dog that can keep up with us is a must.
-aloof with strangers/protectiveness: current dog would snuggle up with any stranger which is nice in some ways, but we'd really like something a bit more reserved/aloof with strangers for our next dog.
-health: they seem like a relatively healthy breed

Any input from Beauceron owners, or anyone with Beauceron experience, would be very much appreciated! Also, tips on finding a good breeder would be wonderful!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
They should not be dog aggressive at all. I have never met one that was dog aggressive. Some intact males can be jerks to other intact males, but I have had multiple intact male Beaucerons in the same house with no issues other than a little growling and grumpiness. Mine gets along great with all the dogs in my house (1 neutered male, 1 spayed female, and 1 intact female). They are not aggressive to strange dogs, but some may not tolerate a strange dog running up to them when they are with their people.

They are extremely biddable and easy to train.

Average weight would be 70-90lbs. My male is on the smaller side at 75lbs.

The majority are very quiet. Mine does not alert bark. He barks during play and when someone comes up to my car.

They are high energy and intelligent. They should be able to do everything that you are interested in. Mine is aloof with strangers, but I have met some that are more friendly.

They are generally healthy, but there are some health issues to be on the look out for (make sure you know the pedigree). DCM, HD, OCD, and cancer are health consideration. I would join the Beaucerons Worldwide Facebook group. There is a pinned post there with a ton of info on breeders. I would also ask if there are any in your area that you could meet. Chances are there are probably a few!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should not be dog aggressive at all. I have never met one that was dog aggressive. Some intact males can be jerks to other intact males, but I have had multiple intact male Beaucerons in the same house with no issues other than a little growling and grumpiness. Mine gets along great with all the dogs in my house (1 neutered male, 1 spayed female, and 1 intact female). They are not aggressive to strange dogs, but some may not tolerate a strange dog running up to them when they are with their people.

They are extremely biddable and easy to train.

Average weight would be 70-90lbs. My male is on the smaller side at 75lbs.

The majority are very quiet. Mine does not alert bark. He barks during play and when someone comes up to my car.

They are high energy and intelligent. They should be able to do everything that you are interested in. Mine is aloof with strangers, but I have met some that are more friendly.

They are generally healthy, but there are some health issues to be on the look out for (make sure you know the pedigree). DCM, HD, OCD, and cancer are health consideration. I would join the Beaucerons Worldwide Facebook group. There is a pinned post there with a ton of info on breeders. I would also ask if there are any in your area that you could meet. Chances are there are probably a few!
Thank you! Getting super excited, they sound pretty perfect for us. Just sent a request to join the group!

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Thank you! Getting super excited, they sound pretty perfect for us. Just sent a request to join the group!
Awesome!!! :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I agree with Jade. I've spent quite a bit of time over the last year with Beaucerons at shows and at the Journee last October. I haven't seen any dog aggression, and they really shouldn't have any.

Even a laid back Beauce is pretty high energy. If you're looking for a comparison I think a working line GSD would come close. Some have more drive than others, but I think that's true of any breed. My girl would be a terrible IPO dog. She's much more "catch and release" but 2 from her litter are doing IPO.

I've found my pup pretty easy to train but they do have a mind of their own so you have to be on top of them. A Beauce that thinks it can get away with things will keep pushing the limits. I had collies before this dog and it's a whole different mindset. The collies were very soft and took any correction personally. Mesa is completely the opposite. She takes the correction, processes it, and keeps on going. To her it's not personal.

My girl is still a pup (11 months in a few days). Since we knew she was going to be a show dog we really pushed the socialization. Right now she loves everyone and every thing. We'll see how that changes as she matures. 2 of her sisters, who weren't socialized in quite the same way are a bit more aloof.

They are very much a velcro dog. In the morning Mesa lies on top of me as I have my coffee. When she's happy and running around she may suddenly decide to launch herself at me just because. If you go to one of the Facebook groups you'll see lots of pictures of dogs lying on or just touching their people.

One other thing, if you get one be prepared to have this conversation almost daily:
Person: Is that a Doberman mix (for a black and tan) or Is that a German Shepherd and Aussie mix (for a harlequin)?
You: No, it's a Beauceron.
Person: A what?
You: Think of it as a French Shepherd.
Person: Oh, cool.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Jade. I've spent quite a bit of time over the last year with Beaucerons at shows and at the Journee last October. I haven't seen any dog aggression, and they really shouldn't have any.

Even a laid back Beauce is pretty high energy. If you're looking for a comparison I think a working line GSD would come close. Some have more drive than others, but I think that's true of any breed. My girl would be a terrible IPO dog. She's much more "catch and release" but 2 from her litter are doing IPO.

I've found my pup pretty easy to train but they do have a mind of their own so you have to be on top of them. A Beauce that thinks it can get away with things will keep pushing the limits. I had collies before this dog and it's a whole different mindset. The collies were very soft and took any correction personally. Mesa is completely the opposite. She takes the correction, processes it, and keeps on going. To her it's not personal.

My girl is still a pup (11 months in a few days). Since we knew she was going to be a show dog we really pushed the socialization. Right now she loves everyone and every thing. We'll see how that changes as she matures. 2 of her sisters, who weren't socialized in quite the same way are a bit more aloof.

They are very much a velcro dog. In the morning Mesa lies on top of me as I have my coffee. When she's happy and running around she may suddenly decide to launch herself at me just because. If you go to one of the Facebook groups you'll see lots of pictures of dogs lying on or just touching their people.

One other thing, if you get one be prepared to have this conversation almost daily:
Person: Is that a Doberman mix (for a black and tan) or Is that a German Shepherd and Aussie mix (for a harlequin)?
You: No, it's a Beauceron.
Person: A what?
You: Think of it as a French Shepherd.
Person: Oh, cool.
I spent most of last night oohing and aahing over the dogs from that group. They seem like so. much. fun! And, strangely enough we're actually looking forward to the questions and actually educating people about the breed. GSD's are SO over-bred here that they are riddled with health and behavioural issues, so it would be nice to introduce a new working breed to the area and maybe get other people interested in them.

How are the breeders to deal with usually? Especially as someone who hasn't owned a Beauceron before or even a working dog in general. A bit worried they'll just turn me away.

Also, how was the taping/posting process, since I see you both have cropped dogs?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I spent most of last night oohing and aahing over the dogs from that group. They seem like so. much. fun! And, strangely enough we're actually looking forward to the questions and actually educating people about the breed. GSD's are SO over-bred here that they are riddled with health and behavioural issues, so it would be nice to introduce a new working breed to the area and maybe get other people interested in them.

How are the breeders to deal with usually? Especially as someone who hasn't owned a Beauceron before or even a working dog in general. A bit worried they'll just turn me away.

Also, how was the taping/posting process, since I see you both have cropped dogs?
Mesa is exhausting, but she is fun.

My experience with breeders was mixed, but I guess that would be true of any breed or any people. I emailed 4 different breeders. One was dismissive but I found out later she was getting out of the breed. One said she'd add me to her puppy list and didn't say anything else. 2 answered my questions and invited me to come and meet them and their dogs. I think if you show them that you've been researching the breed and are really interested they'll be happy to talk to you. Like I said, I'd had collies before and no experience with a "harder" dog but both breeders that I went to see offered me dogs.

Posting... *sigh*... I love the look of the cropped ears but I don't know if I'd do it again. The actual process wasn't difficult but I found it emotionally traumatic. The Beauce crop is shorter than the Dobie or Great Dane crop so the dogs usually don't need posting for nearly as long. Mesa needed it consistently for about 6 weeks and then a partial or intermittent post for a few more weeks.

If you want to see her pics, she has a thread in the pictures thread "Meet Mesa". (Blatant pitch for her thread)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts

The breeders that I have dealt with have been open and friendly. I would start researching now and talking to breeders and asking questions in the Facebook groups. I think as long as they know you are dedicated and have realistic expectations that they wouldn't have a problem selling you a puppy.

The taping and posting process was easy. Panzer was posted for about 4 weeks. However, I am in the same boat with Sandakat that I would likely not crop again because I feel like it detracted from enjoying his puppyhood and made me feel awful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting about the ear cropping! We were pretty set on a cropped Beauce, but you guys are definitely making me rethink this. Thanks again for all the info, guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts