Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I picked up a puppy from the pound that I immediately identified as a rottweiler/labrador retriever mix. It was a pretty much a no brainer in identifying him as such, and when I looked up videos on the labrottie, he looked just like one. The only odd thing about him is that he has double dewclaws on his hind legs. I figured that this was just some mutation.

So, in researching the best way to have those extra digits removed, I discovered that there are three dog breeds that come with double dewclaws. One of those three breeds is a beauceron, which is an old dog breed from France. I had never heard of it, but when I looked at its photos it looks almost identical to the labrottie except for the double dewclaws.

So now I'm not sure if I have a labrottie or a beauceron. In looking at photos of both, he could be either or and seems to have the traits of both types, which are extremely similar. The only difference is the labrotties are more lazy and beaucerons are more active.

Right now because he's a pup - 5 months old - he sleeps a lot, but is also very active so I cannot tell.

Can anyone help me with this please? Here's some photos of Zeke and his double dews.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Wow, Beauceron are really uncommon, but he does have the look. Have you looked through your local lost and found ads to see if anyone is missing one?

As far as a Labrador x Rottweiler cross being "lazy", well, I've got friends with Rotties and more friends with field/working line Labs, and none of their dogs is what I would consider lazy.

Whatever he is, make sure you keep those nails trimmed, so that they don't catch on something and get ripped (ripping a nails off is painful and bloody).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, Beauceron are really uncommon, but he does have the look. Have you looked through your local lost and found ads to see if anyone is missing one?

As far as a Labrador x Rottweiler cross being "lazy", well, I've got friends with Rotties and more friends with field/working line Labs, and none of their dogs is what I would consider lazy.

Whatever he is, make sure you keep those nails trimmed, so that they don't catch on something and get ripped (ripping a nails off is painful and bloody).
Thanks! Yes, we looked around to see if anyone was missing a beauceron and didn't find anything. Yeah, they're definitely an uncommon breed. When comparing the two, which breed do you think he looks like more? A beauceron or labrottie?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Beaucerons are not that common, and I kind of doubt one would be found in a shelter. I mean, it's not impossible, just highly doubtful! Honestly, I would get a DNA test just because I would be so curios!

But, we once had an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix who had a set of double dew claws. They were floppier than the set on your dog and basically useless, but there were definitely two extra toes! So, certain breeds do have the rear dews and it is considered standard, but that doesn't mean they are exclusive to that breed. Sometimes anomalies pop up in mixed breed dogs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When I did rescue I had two puppies from the same litter turned in that had double dews behind. The woman dumping them claimed they were purebred Rotts, and up till maybe 12 weeks they looked as if they could have been very poorly bred examples. As they grew - no chance - and they were definitely not Beaucerons :). My guess was Rottie/hound mixes. The hind dewclaw attachment to bone was slight. I had them removed on both puppies because of chances of ripping and injury and because IMO - and that of potential adopters - they were ugly.

Beaucerons are rare enough it seems the chances of that are very low, and you may find as your puppy matures the resemblance becomes less and less. I saw a lot of part Rottweiler puppies that looked close to purebred when 8-10 weeks, but as mature dogs the only resemblance was the black and tan markings. Even with purebreds and known parents and grandparents, it can be hard to predict what the mature dog will look like.

From what I know of Beauceron temperament, I'd hope for Rottie/Lab, but that's me. Why not appreciate Zeke whatever he is and figure on making him a good canine citizen his forebearers could be proud of, whoever they were.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Usually breeds that are required to have double dewclaws, they are on the back legs and those look like they are on the front which is really odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I did rescue I had two puppies from the same litter turned in that had double dews behind. The woman dumping them claimed they were purebred Rotts, and up till maybe 12 weeks they looked as if they could have been very poorly bred examples. As they grew - no chance - and they were definitely not Beaucerons :). My guess was Rottie/hound mixes. The hind dewclaw attachment to bone was slight. I had them removed on both puppies because of chances of ripping and injury and because IMO - and that of potential adopters - they were ugly.

Beaucerons are rare enough it seems the chances of that are very low, and you may find as your puppy matures the resemblance becomes less and less. I saw a lot of part Rottweiler puppies that looked close to purebred when 8-10 weeks, but as mature dogs the only resemblance was the black and tan markings. Even with purebreds and known parents and grandparents, it can be hard to predict what the mature dog will look like.

From what I know of Beauceron temperament, I'd hope for Rottie/Lab, but that's me. Why not appreciate Zeke whatever he is and figure on making him a good canine citizen his forebearers could be proud of, whoever they were.
Thanks, but of course I do and will appreciate Zeke for whatever he is. I would just like to know for the same reason any dog owner wants to know what breed they're dealing with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts