Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I turn around I am seeing someone "pet" their dog in a manner that reminds me of my grandmother putting a rug over the clothesline and beating the dust out of it with a broom.

Is it just me? Am I too sensitive? Am I overreacting? Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lloyd loves a good smacking on his sides or chest, it probably looks like a beating, but he really does like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say it depends on the dog. My 60lb pit mix loves rough play time but my 60lb am staff.. not so much. And it's kinda hard to play rough with say a 15lb rat terrier. Now if they're using a broom to beat out the dust, that might be taking it a little far. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I considered that it might just be me...

Some of those dogs look to me like they are literally flinching, waiting for the next pop. And I really did not mean to imply that they are hitting the dog hard enough to hurt it.

I guess I never thought about it myself until I was reading something about horse training. If it only takes about 4 oz of pressure to move a horse, I couldn't imagine how any more than that could feel pleasant to a horse or anything else.

I guess I backed off so much, I wouldn't know if any of my dogs liked it or not...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I guess I'm one of those people...haha...I frequently "beat" on my dogs...they like it on their chest and sides. Uallis likes his smacks to be very hard, Eddie not quite as hard as Uallis but still pretty firm. I don't think that it looks like it would feel good but it does to them.

You know the typical gentle pats on the head and hugs that people give their dogs? My dogs don't like that and will try to get away from someone that hugs them or pats them on the head. But if someone starts smacking them on the chest...they LOVE it. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
LOL I am so happy I am not the only one Lucy loves her pats on her sides and hip area and well most places.. Roxy is alot smaller than Lucy so we dont even try to pat her how we pat Lucy plus I think she was hit by her first people so I am more careful with her....

·
Registered
38 Posts
My dog Indy loves it when I beat the dust off of him on his back and backside. He will actually start twitching his foot like when you are scratching a really good place on him, lol. The only problem is that when I pound him he then gets all excited and nutso.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have toy poodles, and even they like a good tummy or chest pat. Of course, I don't pat them anywhere near as hard as I do my friend's Pitt! :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
biz likes to be thumped around, heck, even one of my cats likes it rough.

after a few good whacks on my cats rear, she get real fiesty and goes ape sh*t and starts attacking things on sight.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
All big dogs that I have had loved it. I used to tell people I was going home to "beat my dog". It did get some looks at times...:eek: Most large dogs do like it..not all, but most.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I work with all of my dogs to get them to where they associate "smacks," hard rubs, scruffing, collar grabs, etc. with good fun and great stuff. Some end up liking it more than others, but I think it's an important part of getting a dog used to all sorts of handling. Think: hoomans who don't quite know how to pet dogs correctly. I also feel it's important desensitization for sport dogs who need to be able to take a licking and keep on ticking on course. Think: a dog falling over a tire jump in Agility onto it's side, etc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My pooch so loves it, my husband even pats him hard on the head which drives me crazy but the dog just totally digs it *lol. Whose to say what floats a dog's boat, he'll eat poop if I don't tell him not too *yuck*

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Upendi loves it on her ribs. :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine love to be smacked hard like that. They think it's the best thing in the world. And I do get some of the dust off them that way. ;-)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yep, my dogs love to be thumped on the chest. I'll do it to strange dogs, too, if it seems like they enjoy it. You do have to watch out when doing it to a dog you don't know....some just don't like it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hey mostlymutts, mine actually don't like it. I've tried it because I know some dogs like it, but they will move away if I pat them too hard, all of them. They prefer scratches and rubs on the belly, chest, sides of the face, and behind the ears.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My dogs have deep chests. Sounds like me beating on drums when patting on them. It's so awesome.

PB

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Hey mostlymutts, mine actually don't like it. I've tried it because I know some dogs like it, but they will move away if I pat them too hard, all of them. They prefer scratches and rubs on the belly, chest, sides of the face, and behind the ears.
Same here. Pats do nothing for Poca. But if you want to rub/scratch her butt? Ooooohhhhhh yeahhhhhh!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts