Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had so many questions about a dogs behaviour before! LOL

Okay here it goes:

yesterday i left the house, my bf was home, Bear would NOT lay down once I left, he paced the house whining and jumped on the couch looking out the window whining.

Why is he doing this? He obiviously wasnt alone.

ALSO i solved the barking all night long. He goes in my room with us. He sleeps on the floor and not a peep from him.

When he sees me grab my pillows off the couch, he jumps up and goes to the bedroom door and sits waiting for me to open the door.

Also, if i get up to use the bathroom,do dishes or whatever, he jumps up and follows me around.

He is my shadow...I have to admit I love it. I love having a dog that is MINE...he doesnt go to anybody else. You can call him all you want but unless I tell him its okay he is NOT going to come over to you. He doesnt growl at people he just sits by me waiting for me to let him go greet, if he wants to.

HE is putting on weight too.

anyways, is it okay that he has become my 'shadow'?:D

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Following you around is fine but, you also need to expand his world to include confidence/security with your BF and others. Part of that is also building the confidence to be alone.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Following you around is fine but, you also need to expand his world to include confidence/security with your BF and others. Part of that is also building the confidence to be alone.
his previous owner left him alone alot. somebodys always home here but he attached himself solely to me

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seems to me though, the fact that you allow and encourage him to rely so much on you, he doesn't know what to do when you're not around. That's why he's so anxious when you're gone even though he's not alone.

It's obvious you like that he's yours and so dependent/reliant on you, but personally I don't think it's such a good thing for the dog. He needs to be confident and comfortable when you aren't around.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to me though, the fact that you allow and encourage him to rely so much on you, he doesn't know what to do when you're not around. That's why he's so anxious when you're gone even though he's not alone.

It's obvious you like that he's yours and so dependent/reliant on you, but personally I don't think it's such a good thing for the dog. He needs to be confident and comfortable when you aren't around.
I rarely leave the house unless im goin to run down to the store. The thing is if i leave one of my kids here with my bf he is fine. He will go up and lay on the futon with one of them. I just dont think he likes men well or just is not comfortable around them.

Yea i really like that he is mine. He is just a 'velcro' dog. My rottie was like that but he didnt mind being left alone when i used to work long hours.

I talk to him and he cocks his head at me and listens to every word im saying his tail thumping the whole time. I usually say:

" B B B B Bear...arent you a handsome Boy?"...he gives me his paw. he wont do it with anybody else either.:)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The BF needs to get more involved with the dog and build his trust. This will alleviate the separation anxiety that is now starting to build in Bear. It's never a good thing fora dog to get too attached to one certain person.

·
Banned
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BF needs to get more involved with the dog and build his trust. This will alleviate the separation anxiety that is now starting to build in Bear. It's never a good thing fora dog to get too attached to one certain person.
your right. I didnt think it was possible to find a dog that would be so much like my Mojo. HE is the same age Mojo was when I got him. And mojo was a tad underweight too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts