Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay I have posted about my beagle before and how she wouldn't stop peeing in her crate. well she finally stopped and then she went into heat, it was her first heat. she has been out of heat for a month now and ever since then she has been peeing in her crate every night and during the day while i am at work. and even when shes only in the crate for an hour or two she still pees. I do not know what to do any more! any tips?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dogs are naturally disinclined to urinate in their bed area... but they'll still do it if there is room for them to pee on one side, and sleep on the other side. How big is your crate? It should be large enough for the dog to stand up, turn around, and lay back down. Too large of a crate may be the problem.

Dogs will also pee in their beds if they simply cannot hold it any longer. Is the dog taken outside to pee before being put in the crate? If not, this may be causing the problem. Being left in the crate too long may also cause the dog to pee because they cannot hold it any longer.

How old is this dog?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking it is the crate that is the problem, its a pretty big crate. ive reduced the size of it to see if it works. She is a year and 1 month old, and we do take her out before bed and before work. before she went in heat she held her bladder all day and night...im so confused by this.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Dogs from puppy mills or pet stores can also be "reverse trained." They become so used to going in their crate that they think that's where they should go. They also become so used to being dirty that it no longer bothers them. Where did your dog come from?

I had an amazing foster dog who would run to her crate to pee. She had been so over-crated that she thought she had to go in the crate and would actually hold it until she would get to her crate. With her, I ended up having to keep her in an out-door run on grass and block access to the crate for about a week. When I had to leave her, I put her in a boarding kennel run without a crate. The dog was incredibly smart and "got it" in a week. Problem solved and she was again crateable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so i do not think she has a UTI, she only pees in her crate. when shes out with us when we have our days off she is absolutely perfect and will hold it till we go outside. I really do not know where she came from, i got her from a man i did a roof job for and he said she just wandered up to his house and wouldn't leave. but I've had several people tell be that she is pure breed. and she sleeps in her pee quite often, but today was the first time she has since i made the crate the proper size. I am learning that it takes a lot to be patient haha. I'm still open to ideas everyone and i really appreciate those of you who have posted.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I made my dog sleep in her pee...never did it again. I do take awesome care of her but I'm an advocate of rough training.
Rough training often shuts the dogs down and leads to worse behavioral problems, it should NEVER be used for basic things like housebreaking, which just takes consistancy and patience. Also if hte dog has a urinary infection NO amout of training (rough or otherwise) will work because the dog can't help what's happening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts