Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10-year-old beagle has been having health trouble lately. It started with frequent urination, so the vet treated him for a urinary infection. But he still was straining to go to the bathroom, so the vet did a sonogram and found a mass in his bladder.

Occasionally, my dog would have little drops of blood in his urine.

After another sonogram and a catheterization, and several inconclusive samples sent off to the labs, the vet STILL couldn't determine if it was cancerous or not. But he put my dog on peroxicam because it's been known to shrink tumors, but can have side effects.

My dog has been on the pills for about a week and he was actually doing better... not urinating every hour like he used to, not straining, etc. But starting Saturday, there is a LOT of blood in his urine. Not urine-mixed blood, but like thick, clotted red blood.

The vet told me some dogs have reactions to the medicine such as stomach bleeding or vomitting. The vet isn't open until tomorrow, but I'm wondering if this is a reaction to the medicine. I stopped giving him his medicine just in case, until I can ask the vet. Do you think I should've stopped it??

Also, does anyone know of any better treatments for possible bladder cancer?? (Something that won't cause bleeding?)

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
But starting Saturday, there is a LOT of blood in his urine. Not urine-mixed blood, but like thick, clotted red blood.
This is making me think emergency vet. Could his kidneys also be bleeding now? In any case lots of blood would make me think lots of bleeding which is most certainly not a good sign and not something I want to wait on.

I have no experience with bladder cancer but from all I've heard it's usually one of those that's pretty limited in treatment options and has a poor prognosis since it's usually diagnosed late. I would really hope your dog does not have bladder cancer.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
No one, even those on the board that are vets, can properly diagnose why your dog is having bloody urine. You need to take him to the vet, sooner rather than later, especially considering his recent history of urinary tract issues. If you dont have an emergency vet practice in your area, try calling your regular vet. Often there will be someone "on call" to handle cases just like this during off hours.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Emergency vet. Could be a tumor rupture which can cause a dog to bleed out, fatally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stopped his pills and now the urine has gone back to a yellowy color. But I've contacted his vet & I'm waiting for them to call back.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts