Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 year old, neutered male beagle that I am trying to teach impulse control to along with my other dog a 2 year old reactive whippet/herding dog. I have been training these 2 in Doggy Zen (Leave It) and Sit Stay. This on the path to Mat Stay for both of them when visitors arrive or kids come over to play with my son.

The whippetX handles the training quite well, with the beagle it breaks down into a barkfest about giving him more and more frequent treats. I have traded treats, I usually use Natural Balance rolls, and I have gone to Cheerios with hope of lowering the intensity of the beagle, who howls at me.

His howling has stopped my attempting to train these things with him. Loose leash walking provides him a ton of treats for little work and he is quiet. What can I do to make this otherwise sweet dog less vocal and demanding so I can train stays?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Do you use a clicker or a marker word? If you do, can you simply wait him out then click/treat for silence? As he gets it, ask for longer periods of silence.
This is what I would do. And if you're not using a clicker I would start.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Its helpful to hear two in agreement on this. I do use a clicker, but his howling is so darn penetrating, I cannot stand it for too long. Maybe I will try earplugs. I would like to get him through some impulse control training, as I think he needs more impulse control, as he wants it his way too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts