Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Beagle/Lab OR Beagle/border collie?

20K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  melody 
#1 ·
I have began to suspect that my supposed Beagle/Lab mix is in fact a Beagle/BC mix, the mother was on site when i got her but the father was no where to be found, perhaps the people i got her from just assumed that it was neighbors lab, she seems to have the markings of a BC and the features of a beagle. here is some comparison.

here is a Border collie

Here is Shiloh

Border Collie

Shiloh

Anyone think i am onto something or am i just fooled by the colors?

See less See more
#6 ·
It could be either. BCs don't have an official physical conformation standard, so they can really look like anything, but Shiloh's body looks too stout for a breed that is usually a marathon runner. The coat is common in Border Collies, but lots of dogs have the same color pattern.

I believe the black/white coloration was a trait of the St. John's water dog, from which all the modern retrievers are descended. I'm not an expert, but it could be just a long-dormant coat pattern in Labs that got expressed from crossing with a Beagle; the face definitely carries Lab & Beagle elements.

#8 ·
1) Wait, so the Beagle was the mother?

2) Is it possible that there's both Lab AND BC in there? There's Beagle in her, no doubt... but the blocky head and the stout frame looks kind of Labby. At the same time I'm not sure where the black/white colouring could have come from. I want to say BC, but black and white runs in Beagles too, albeit uncommonly.

#10 ·
The mother was a pure beagle, perhaps the father was a Lab/BC cross, that would explain a few things, as far as the father goes, all i know is what they told me in the 5 minutes that i talked to them. (they said half lab and half beagle)

btw, i have heard of the very rare black and white beagle before, that would be something else to own one.

#13 ·
I don't see any BC in her. I have seen black and white beagle mixes before and remember a LOT of breeds have those markings, not just BCs. Spaniels like springers often are marked like that.

#15 ·
My friend's dog looks just like Shiloh, and he's supposed to be a Lab/Springer Spaniel mix. I guess you can't dispute the Beagle part if that was her mom, but I doubt Dad was a purebred Lab.

#16 ·

These fella's are brothers...Lab and Springer. They all look different. There is no specific confirmation in a mixed breed dog. Best ya can do is guess and have fun with it:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.