Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, i am new here just registered, i'm kinda desperate at the moment. My dog is a tri-color beagle, i got him four years ago hes been living with my mom while ive been working and going to college. i just got a house of my own with a big yard and took him in. see i always knew hes been kind of aggressive but we always worked around him snipping or attacking by out smarting him. i enrolled him in dog training classes and hes a quick learner but won't stop being agressive. if i make him do something he doesnt want to do like leaving my cat alone or taking one of my socks away from him he growls sometimes he actually snaps. i've down everything from the roll over technique to correcting him with a choke chain. i've talk to my trainer many times about this issue but it hasn't gotten any easier. i make him sit before feeding, going threw a door way or stepping outside to pee. he does not pull me when i walk him i lead him i just don't know what to do anymore, is there anybody that can help me with a something to read up on, or maybe some helpful tips, everything i seem to find on google seem to contradict itself. thank you

*update: i did a lot of research and found ian dunbar to be really helpful but yet to find anything on how to correct aggression, today he has become really short tempered and im becoming really fearful for my 2 month old nephew in the house. please if someone could help

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have you tried establishing leadership through non-force-related methods? I highly recommend reading up on Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF). Also, bear in mind that you may not see results overnight especially since this has been going on for awhile.

Responding to aggression with force causes the aggression to escalate in many dogs, so I would discourage using choke chains, rollovers, etc. What other methods is your trainer suggesting?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Google resource guarding. That's what's going on here. I agree with Layla and would abandon the rough-housing. Instead, make giving an item to you a positive experience by trading for a treat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she's pretty much telling me to use the whole dominence thing which isn't helping because I feel like it Makes matters worse he does wear a choke chai
and yesterday night he tried biting me well did but I kinds got my hand out before he could sink in another poster said I should see a qualified behavorist but where could I look for one especially in the southern California area?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts