Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am so glad I found this great forum. I adopted Baxter two weeks ago from Animal Control. When I first got him he had kennel cough, but was house trained! He never had an accident in his crate! In the past three days he has had numerous accidents (only pee); I am not sure if this is relevant, but every time he has had an accident, he had be squatting (outside he is a leg lifter unless it is urgent)! The accidents started with my carpet- he had two with in 90 minutes right in front of me! Because of this, I put him in his crate overnight- where he proceeded to have another accident...he waited until I was awake though...

I thought the accident in the crate may be a one time thing, but today, when I got home from work, he had urinated again in the crate! I don't want to crate him while I'm at work, and I hadn't been, but I can't have him having continuous accidents!

It seems like overnight, he just lost his housetraining skills!! Is this something common? Could it be caused by the antibiotics (I find it weird it would start after a week of taking them though...)! Another tidbit, he coughed up a hairball today...not sure if this could be related.

I really want to do what's best for the dog, but I am hoping you guys can give me some direction! I love him so much, and want him to be healthy and housetrained!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
This is probably not going to help much, but when I first got my adult, very house trained dog, we had a few similar incidents, where she randomly started peeing inside for no discernable reason. I immediately had her tested for a Urinary Tract Infection, but she came back clear, and by that time the peeing had stopped. So, um, could just be part of adjustment process?

Now she's still perfectly housetrained and won't go inside unless it's an emergency.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Lots of dogs don't generalize well. They don't learn 'never go inside/always go outside' they learn 'we don't go HERE'. That means housetrained in their first home (or foster home) does not immediately translate to housetrained anywhere else. In a shelter they're confined to a pretty small space. In a home they have ample room to 'get away' from their mess - so the kennel works basically like a crate.

Basically, you need to go to housebreaking 101 for a while. He'll probably pick it up again fast/realize that, yeah, this is ALSO my home and I go outside, but he has to feel like it's his home for that to apply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts