Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm immensely stressed right now. Our cat Ollie was always a bit of a battle cat, before my husband and I moved here (he's my DH's cat) he hunted TONS of birds, mice etc, used to take on any local cat that wandered into his yard. Now my cat Hemi has become the bigger hunter, but Ollie still fights big stuff at about 9 years old while Hemi runs inside. He had a run in tonight that I think was a close one. He's going to the vet in the morning. I don't want this happening again!

He's missing about a 1 inch square of fur and a couple of layers of flesh. I can see a little puncture. He isn't bleeding so we're hoping he'll be ok until tomorrow morning, and hopefully by then he'll let me go near him. He tried to take my face off when I brought him inside. His paws are covered in blood but it doesn't seem like any is his...paws is pretty much all he will let me touch without growling. I'm really want to take him to the vet now, but from what I can tell they're just going to put a collar on him, put some ointment and maybe bandage on him and tell us to keep him in until it heals. He isn't even limping. We can't afford an e-vet visit for that as much as I would like to.

No idea what he tangled with....too small to be the big dog on the property, the little one is usually kept inside at this time of night. Being in a rural area I'm thinking a lynx. Crazy cat! I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight.

So I've pretty much decided, the cat flap is being barricaded off, the cats aren't getting out any more if I can help it. There has been way too much wildlife this year. One neighbor's dog got killed by a bear, and there's more lynx this year than I've ever heard of! Does anybody have tips on how the heck to keep two cats inside when they're both used to (and love) outside? I can seriously see this being hard, especially how often we take the dog in and out! They use outside to get a break from Caeda too, so this is going to be REALLY tough. Any hints, tips, suggestions or otherwise?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I don't have the wildlife issue (being in town) but I do have the local stray (and neighbor dog) issue and the issue of being flattened on a fairly busy thoroughfare about 200 feet from my yard. I also really like song birds and do not want them predated by my more effective hunters (the dogs basically do bunnies). I hate the idea of cats having to be strictly inside. I think it is unnatural for some of them (certainly my Abi cat says so). We compromised. I have a very large cat condo they can hang out in. It's about 4 foot wide by 8 foot tall by 15 feet long. They can hang out and watch the world. It's the best I'm willing to do, as I am selfish enough to not want them to be road pizza or pit bull dessert.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your cats are so sweet and you calico is awesome :D Hemi has similar coloring, looks like yours has some big mitts too (Hemi has 6 toes on each of her front paws). I think I recall you mentioning you had a calico that looked similar to mine.
The cat condo is a great idea! We should get on building something like that before the snow flies, our landlord shouldn't mind so long as its something we can take down cleanly when we leave. They won't use it much in the winter, but I know they will a little. I agree....it doesn't seem right keeping cats in all the time.

We have some materials we were going to use to build Caeda a run, but have decided not to do that, now we can use it to build something for the cats. Going to be a challenge keeping them from getting out the front, but so be it. A super upside is Hemi won't be able to bring dead (and sometimes live) mice to drop on me in the middle of the night quite so often if we keep them in.

We're lucky, the nearest road (the highway) is about 500m away, and both cats stick very close to home, they just go within the treeline to hang out and climb around a bit. Animals have been our biggest problem, the big dog on the property that likes chasing cats fortunately for us (but very unfortunately for him) appears to have some pretty severe hip dysplasia so he is pretty slow and can't really catch up with the cats. The JRT that lived across the driveway has thankfully moved out, he caused the only other incident we've ever had with the cats.

I'm not thrilled about missing more work tomorrow to take Ollie to the vet, but I'll be a lot happier once I've gotten him looked at. I can tell he is hurting, he is even grumpier than usual :p

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Your cats are so sweet and you calico is awesome :D Hemi has similar coloring, looks like yours has some big mitts too (Hemi has 6 toes on each of her front paws). I think I recall you mentioning you had a calico that looked similar to mine.
The cat condo is a great idea! We should get on building something like that before the snow flies, our landlord shouldn't mind so long as its something we can take down cleanly when we leave. They won't use it much in the winter, but I know they will a little. I agree....it doesn't seem right keeping cats in all the time.

We have some materials we were going to use to build Caeda a run, but have decided not to do that, now we can use it to build something for the cats. Going to be a challenge keeping them from getting out the front, but so be it. A super upside is Hemi won't be able to bring dead (and sometimes live) mice to drop on me in the middle of the night quite so often if we keep them in.

We're lucky, the nearest road (the highway) is about 500m away, and both cats stick very close to home, they just go within the treeline to hang out and climb around a bit. Animals have been our biggest problem, the big dog on the property that likes chasing cats fortunately for us (but very unfortunately for him) appears to have some pretty severe hip dysplasia so he is pretty slow and can't really catch up with the cats. The JRT that lived across the driveway has thankfully moved out, he caused the only other incident we've ever had with the cats.

I'm not thrilled about missing more work tomorrow to take Ollie to the vet, but I'll be a lot happier once I've gotten him looked at. I can tell he is hurting, he is even grumpier than usual :p
Miss Moon (the tortie) has seven toes on her front feet) Abi is the cheddar tabby. We've since added (showed up yeowling in the driveway) kitten Opie who is a bright orange tabby with more distinct markings than Abi and brilliant orange eyes. It's interesting that the orange cats really need to be outside. The "condo" is just 2x4s and livestock fencing. If I were to want to move it (I won't, will need a viking funeral when I die, I have so much stuff) it would be easy to do, with some walks and perches which are just plywood. It cost about $200 with materials and labor.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What an awesome bunch of cats :D $200 isn't bad at all, and considering we've got a bunch of the materials already it'll be even less. It'll be a challenge to make it non-permanent, but I'm sure we'll manage.

Try the Indoor Pet Initiative for some ideas.
Great site!!! thanks!

OOhhh I'm so worried about him, he's not bleeding heavy but the way he is laying he keeps laying the skinned bit against the cloth and there is blood. I'm sure he will be fine until the morning but I just hate him suffering like this. My DH, (who unfortunately is working out of town at the moment, just my luck), says he has been much worse than I've described and done just fine.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
When I was a teenager we had The Most Awesome Cat Evar, he was a Maine Coon lookalike who was a mighty hunter and a battle cat. He once came home covered in pine sap with pine needles stuck all over him, very sore and cranky, though no blood. We wanted to take him to the vet but he wouldn't let anybody touch him or even got too close to him. He went into the basement and found a cozy spot, we put his food, water, and a litterbox close by, and he stayed there for 3 whole days (it was weird for him to stay inside for more than a few hours), growling at anybody who got too close (normally he was very friendly and gentle). And after that he got up, asked to go outside, and seemed to be as good as new. We never knew what happened but we speculated that something large chased him into a pine tree and either he fell out or there was a lot of tussling and wrestling involved (but no tooth/claw contact, evidently). He was a great cat and had a wonderful life, and died of old age, but I really hate having outside cats. I just worry too much. I think the enclosure idea is excellent. But battle cats are tough critters, I'm sure Ollie will be fine ths time. Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good wishes. Maine Coon type cats are REALLY incredible, gentle when they want and mean when they want.

It is "relatively" safe here....we haven't had a wild animal problem in the past until this fall we started getting more. I KNOW there is something out there right now. I took Caeda out for her last evening potty break and she just kept wanting to go toward the back of the house and she wandered around chuffing for a good 10 mins before she got to business, and once inside she chuffed and barked at the door. I guess Ollie didn't kill it after all. From the sounds of it in his prime he would take on a small to medium sized dog if he had the whim and do more damage than he got, but he is getting far too old.

I get so scared because I know cats are incredibly good at hiding pain, but you are right, battle cats are crazy tough! My grandparents had HUGE tabby cat that got hit by a car and came wandering up the driveway with half of his face pretty much destroyed (gross, I know, but that is the least graphic description I can give). The vet reconstructed the best he could and the cat survived a good long while and had a great life. When he was about 19 he went outside and never came back. Ollie should be fine, I checked his wound and he is still seeping, but it isn't heavy (he HAD to lay on my side of the bed for this lol). Hes giving me what we call his "skexie growl" if I touch him anywhere, but I've put pressure on him here and there and no major freakouts, so here's hoping no internal injuries! I don't think I can take the stress of outdoor cats anymore either...wow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I imagine keeping a cat indoors, especially one that is used to wandering around outside, would be difficult. I don't have a cat, but I think I would choose to keep mind indoors. There are too many man-made and natural dangers out there--whether urban or rural.

I think that having an outdoor cat enclosure would be a good idea. I think that would be a good compromise. Plus, keeping your cat mentally and physically stimulated with indoor games might help.

Hope your cat feels better! Good luck if you decide to limit him to the indoors.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ollie is now doing fantastic, no infection at all. He is actually taking being inside quite well. He is wearing his scar (and chunk of hair that hasn't grown back yet) like a badge of honor.
The other cat, Hemi, is going absolutely stir crazy, despite considering the dog a fair source of entertainment. I'm going to try to make the spare room into a bit of a cat play-room, right now its pretty much storage and the cat flap room. Its already getting a little too cold out to be constructing their outdoor space, which in the winter they'll be unlikely to use anyway. Normally in the winter their outside time consists of running out the door with us if we go to do something then standing at the door to be let back in immediately lol. I don't think the problem is that they want to BE outside they want to be LET outside. little fur punks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
When I was a kid our cat "Henry" got older and it seemed like he was at the vet every other week. He just couldn't hold his own outdoors anymore. He made the transition to being an indoor only cat without any problems at all. We made sure that he had plenty of toys and a couple of cat trees to amuse himself. You can hide treats or bits of dry kibble on the cat trees or other areas that your dog can't acess to give them something to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts