Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
The dog is afraid and lacking basic trust. I would set him up in an exercise pen with potty pads, or an indoor pen plus outdoor pen setup. But something that doesn't require you to touch him AT ALL. Any time your dog runs, flinches, or yelps, you are damaging the relationship. It doesn't matter if you don't think your actions are scary are harmful. The dog perceives it as such and you must always work from your dog's point of view. I would not use any punishment or scolding at all with this dog. He already seems hypersensitive to your movement and tone, and it will not help him learn.

Having the setup as described will negate any need to touch, pick up, or catch this dog. Then you can start building a trusting relationship over time. I would sit next to the pen, talk to him, and throw bits of his food in over the course of the day. It doesn't matter if he doesn't immediately eat the food. As long as he starts to see that you are a source of positive things, and that he does not feel pressured to interact.

Alternatively, having a confident and social dog in the household may also help your dog become more confident. Adding another dog is a lot more work though.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts