Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have not had a dog in over 15 years. My wife found a lost chihuahua, 4lb 11oz, male, not fixed (yet). We have had him about 3 weeks now, he is oficially our per animal control since we were unable to find his owners. He is having house training issues. We can't seem to get him on a schedule. we take him outside at regular scheduled intervals, tell him to "go potty". we praise and pet him when he does it. He does not let us know when he needs to go out. He does not pee in the house as far as we can tell, but his pee schedule is random/hit or miss. He poops in the house, usually goes and hides, or does it at night. We can't seem to catch him in the act to train him. He is also overly submissive and wont listen. tail between his legs, roll over on his back and presents his stomach every time you pet him. I just tried to take him outside, he knows "come" but he wouldnt do it. I went to get him and he tried to run off, tail between his legs. I caught him and picked him up to take him out, not huring him at all, and he started yelping like he was being murdered. I set him by the door gently and told him "come" again and he came out, i praised and petted him for obeying. After I got him outside in the grass and all he would do was lay on his back in the grass. He peed on me while he was laying in his back. I tried to turn him over and told him to "go potty" and all i got was the "I'm being murdered" yelping even though I was not hurting him... incredibly frustrated, more than a little angry, had to put him in his kennel, please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure there are people on here that are much more knowledgeable than me. However, I would first say immediately start crate training him as if he were a puppy. Taking him for basic obedience classes will probably help as will having him neutered. Best of luck.
I'm going to have to crate train him, we only have a pet carrier, no crate right now, but it is something. I also plan on talking to a dog trainer, but obedience classes i'm not sure about. Im worried if he gets trained but we don't use commands correctly and or interact with him properly he will unlearn his training. That said training the family and him at the same time seems like a daunting task. He will be getting fixed within the next month. we were not allowed to "alter" him for the first 2 weeks while we were fostering him for the pound. I didnt want to invest too much until he was officially ours, which is only 1 week now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would never take my frustration out on an animal :), most he gets is a stern "get down", "no", or "bad dog", and only if he gets caught in the act. He is learning other things, we got him to start sitting instead of jumping to try to get up on our laps. I'm trying to work on treat and clicker training, hoping to eventually go to just clicker. He is not very interested in treats though. Ended up crating him last night and let him out first thing in the morning, he did both pretty much right away, lots of praise and pets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When he goes potty outside make it worth his while using some food that is super good. A tiny bit of cooked roast beef or a bit of hot dog.. something really rewarding.

Try not to lean over him (dogs find this threatening) (and yes.. Chihuahua so tiny and hard NOT to lean over).

Yes to the Crate. The carrier for now will work too.

Funny thing about dogs and training. Once they really KNOW a task, they don't easily UN-Know it. They may not respond if you don't ask correctly, but rarely do they totally "forget" their training. As for Recall.. when you take your dog out put him on a light long line and have GREAT food with you. Call him and whether he comes freely or you have to remind him with the long line, feed him when he gets to you and have a party. This makes recall a good thing and builds a bond with the dog.

Good luck.
I'm still trying to find something he likes. He does not seems to care much about treats, we have tried table food and actual treats. he seems indifferent most of the time, like he is doing us a favor to eat it. He wont eat most dog treats, begging strips are the only thing he will eat, and again, he does not really seem to care about them much. I need to take some time and do training sessions with treats and the clicker instead of just as needed during the day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts