Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I gave my puppies a bath when I brought them home and then after that, only if they get into something. I probably bathe them once a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't believe there is a "rule" for bathing puppies. We usually bathe puppies right before turning them over to their new owners, at 8 weeks old and then from there as long as it's not too cold any time is fair game.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm not sure why your dog is smelling... If he's an inside dog and you're brushing him, he shouldn't stink. What does he smell like? Bathing too often will strip his coat of natural oils.

If I were bathing often, I'd probably not do it more than once every 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe every two weeks. There's no set answer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not sure why your dog is smelling... If he's an inside dog and you're brushing him, he shouldn't stink. What does he smell like? Bathing too often will strip his coat of natural oils.

If I were bathing often, I'd probably not do it more than once every 3 or 4 weeks. Maybe every two weeks. There's no set answer.

Interesting that you said that. I bathe my dog every week to 1 1/2 weeks. Mainly because she plays with slobber dogs sometimes at the DP, so she stinks after a while. Plus - where I live, its very "dusty", and her potty area has red sandy rocks (I have no choice as our backyard is just concrete and pool). So, her white paws gets reddish and dirty from running around so much at the park and kicking back her paws after she poos.

Maybe because I have a white dog that I see her get dirty more obvious than a dog that is brownish or darker color.

Is there something that I can do to keep her coat clean in the meantime, as well to reduce full bathing? will it be okay to just wash the paws every week then give full baths every couple weeks or so? I know it's not set in stone, but I'm just a little worried that I may be giving too many baths. Since March 13th, I've given her 4 full baths, and one paw baths (I had to...after she stepped in someone else's doo doo by accident).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Interesting that you said that. I bathe my dog every week to 1 1/2 weeks. Mainly because she plays with slobber dogs sometimes at the DP, so she stinks after a while. Plus - where I live, its very "dusty", and her potty area has red sandy rocks (I have no choice as our backyard is just concrete and pool). So, her white paws gets reddish and dirty from running around so much at the park and kicking back her paws after she poos.

Maybe because I have a white dog that I see her get dirty more obvious than a dog that is brownish or darker color.

Is there something that I can do to keep her coat clean in the meantime, as well to reduce full bathing? will it be okay to just wash the paws every week then give full baths every couple weeks or so? I know it's not set in stone, but I'm just a little worried that I may be giving too many baths. Since March 13th, I've given her 4 full baths, and one paw baths (I had to...after she stepped in someone else's doo doo by accident).
I think as long as you are using a soap free shampoo it is ok to wash as often as needed. Both of my dogs are white and I wash them at least once a week and really Bella needs it about every other day. She is ALL dog and plays hard outside and likes to swim in the bay by our house.

·
Banned
593 Posts
How often your dog/ puppy will need a bath will depend on the breed and what type of activities the dog is involved in. I've heard it is best to only bathe your dog when he or she is REALLY dirty. You should not bathe your dog/puppy too often though because that will dry out the skin, deplete healthy oils from the coat and skin, and lead to scratching, irritation and worse smelliness (if that is even a word). I've heard every 3 to 4 weeks is OK but more often is not good. If you have to bathe your dog often I would use a good oatmeal dog shampoo and a good doggy conditioner to help moisturize the skin and coat. Never use people products on dogs they are the worst on their skin and coat. I have learned from experience! ;) :cool:

I have a mostly white dog and she gets pretty dirty. I try not to bathe her more then once a month otherwise she gets dry, itchy skin with lots of dandruff. Between baths I just "spot" clean her or a quick rub down with a warm wash cloth works for us. Brushing often also helps out a lot.

Also, they sell "baby wipes" for dogs or dry bath sprays that you can use between baths. I've never used them but many people I know use them and claim they work great. You can buy them at any pet store I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Puppies can be bathed as normally as other dogs. Use a gentler shampoo and make sure they are dried thoroughly to prevent sickness. I wouldn't bathe a dog more than every 6 weeks or else it can severely dry out their skin. Never use detergents or people shampoo since these strip the natural oils that are essential to healthy coats and skin. If the puppy poops on itself a lot, just give a foot/butt bath instead of the whole shebang.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts