Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dog I grew up with got baths only when he threw himself into cow dung, which unfortunately happened frequently lol.

Our Staffie got very infrequent baths, maybe every two months or so. She was often rubbed down with a towel, after the rain, or after running outside my mom would use a wet wipe to wipe her paws and belly.

We just got our rescue and I bathed her the next day she arrived because she wasn't very clean (sat in her own pee the poor thing). My husband told me today that she smells (I disagree though, to me she smells fine) and he (never owned a dog before) thinks she should get a bath every week.

I think that is excessive and it can't be good for their skin either. Am I right? I got a dog shampoo without perfumes in it.

Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
My long haired, double coated dogs would get a bath every 2 weeks or so in the summer, but Bryna (the first short haired dog I've yet owned), only gets bathed when she gets dirty enough that wiping it off won't cut it. If she smells bad, I give her a bath with baby shampoo: hypoallergenic and CHEAP.

If you have a smelly dog, then about 1 time a week shouldn't hurt, especially since its just a regular dog shampoo. If it were for fleas and ticks, you would want to do it less often because of the chemicals.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
When my Schnauzer/Poodles were younger I bathed them once a week with tear free baby shampoo, rinsed well, towel dried, brushed them out in a nice warm bathroom and finished with a hair dryer on low setting. They got dirty more often being pups. I have had no problems doing so. Now that they are over 5 years old I only do it once every two weeks still with the same shampoo and same way. They never smell and do not have a double coat. They never have dry skin.

Abbylynn has had two baths since spring of last year 2011. :) She doesn't smell either. I really think them having a good dog food helps. Also fish oil and vitamin E ... IMO help with their skin being in good condition. :)

EDIT: Oh, I did find out that baby wipes can be your friend too. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts