Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions?
Today I'm going to our local shelter where I've been volunteering for a couple of weeks, and there's this beautiful Great Pyrenese name Queenie, who is absolutely nasty. So, today is the day that she gets her first bath.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fast and easy way to bathe a dog with that much hair? or am I just gonna have to wingit?

(I've bathed a LOT of dogs in my life, but never a dog like that.)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That is a wonderfull thing to do, thank you!
Good luck with Queenie. I am assuming that the shelter doesn't have a bathing system like Hydrosurge or bathing beauty? Those are great tools to help bathe a large, thick coated dog quickly.

It's going to be a real project, especially getting her dry. Plan for a least a couple hours - if you have a HV dryer.

Best of luck - I hope she isn't matted!

·
Registered
304 Posts
My mom has a GP. I, too, wish there was a "fast and easy" way to wash him.

She does it in the front yard with a garden hose, which I hate. It is not just because the water is cold, but because when a strange dog shows up, he gets *very* excited, and attacks her other dog. The best way to stop him has been to spray him with the hose. Hence, water hose equals bad thing in his mind.

We typically clip him in the summer, which helps. Not a good winter time plan though...

Sheesh. Wish I could help...

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Hopefully she'll be good for her bath. If you don't have a power water sprayer or one of those forks that you can attach to a hose and get down into the coat, then you can use your fingers to help massage the water down into the coat. You'll also hav to use your fingers to massage the shampoo down into the coat. Make it a priority to get ALL the shampoo out. Even if you have to leave the coat a bit damp, left over shampoo will atract dirt and cause skin irritations. Try your best to get her dry all the way down to the skin, this will significantly impact the finished look and make her feel much better. If you don't have a high power dryer available to dry then you can use a shop vac on reverse, I think most shelters have shop vacs hanging around. Also car chamios will help soak up all the water left on her, otherwise have lots of towels handy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just have to say I got a wonderful chuckle out of including car chamois and a wet vac in the dog bathing aresnal :) I'm not sure what product it would be, but I see a great little commercial in my head with a guy walking out of the garage dragging his wet vac, bit bucket of soaps and stuff, chamois and towels in hand, apparently heading over to wash the car and veering off the driveway and into the front yard to wash the dog instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts