Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two bassets hounds approximtely 3 years old now. They are both in excllent health and full of energy. My only concern is their coats.
They both used to have soft shining coats but both seem to have lost it. It is more rough now and sheds easily. I have added eggs yolks to their diet to add protein but no luck.
Any suggestions???

Im also thinking of getting a beagle as well, good or bad move?

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
Feeding the whole egg is better. Maybe once or twice a week.
You can add a little fish oil or olive oil to their food; not a lot, about a half teaspoon daily or one fish oil caplet (the human kind in the nutritional section of the grocery)

Have you changed anything? their food, shampoo, different flea/tick medicine, more time in the sun? Are they just shedding for summer?

Knowing nothing about your life, I can't say if a beagle is a good or bad move but 3 dogs is more work than 2 for sure! More expense too.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Judging by the title alone I was almost scared to click on this thread. Images of Cruella DeVille flashed through my brain. :p
You could also try adding some fish oil supplements to your dog's food.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Sometimes a dogs diet will make their coats dry and brittle. Maybe you could try switching foods, or even switch to a different protein source?

You could also add some coconut oil to their food as a topper.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Judging by the title alone I was almost scared to click on this thread. Images of Cruella DeVille flashed through my brain. :p
You could also try adding some fish oil supplements to your dog's food.
Ha!Me too!
Fish oil is great. I feed mine a teaspoon a few times a week. They shed year round so a good brush once a week helps. I give mine salmon oil and they are fed sardines a couple times a week. Also I don't now what you are feeding in general but grain- free s best.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Maybe you have changed their food lately ? Or maybe you haven't. I find with Bassets that variety is the key to good skin, coats, ears etc... A couple of mine have seasonal allergies and diet does really help but when they do their coats tend to go oily rather than dry. No chicken - I find this to be a real problem where as turkey is fine.... As far as bringing in a Beagle. I think your hounds are siblings - both being 3 years old? They will have a very tight club and bringing in a newbie can be difficult. But as long as you introduce a new member to the family slowly and make sure no one is lesser... it is usually week three that everyone is playing and happy that they have a new member. I don't know if you find that Bassets are very breed centric they love dogs that look like and act like them. :) x It is like minds getting together...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts