Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to believe the boys may be able to interact with each other again, but I would feel better if they were muzzled. I doubt I would ever be comfortable with them without muzzles. I was thinking of a basket muzzle. I believe there are either leather or wire, which would be better and where to purchase? We have a Pet Warehouse but I feel bad buying anything from there and their muzzles seem cheaply made.

Mater has been such a good dog lately! He switched from being a silent predator to a friendly monster. It happened when we a cute little hound pup followed us home. We avoided introducing Mater since he had a history of aggression until pup decided for himself. He managed to get himself on the other side of the babygate when I was preparing food. I about had a heart attack and Mater fell in love. Absolutely no aggression! I have some pictures, but can't figure out how to upload on my phone (no internet here, just have my phone.) Will try to get to the library tomorrow to share. Since then he has met and played with 2 other dogs. Both small and female. A pitbull puppy and an adult scruffy mutt. He also 'caught' 2 birds fighting in the yard and only put his paws on either side and barked. It's like a friendly switch went off in his head to everything. Gunner and him has always been able to walk together without a problem, but now they're interacting through the baby gate. Mater licks G's mouth and ears and genitals. They play tug through the outdoor kennel.

Part of the reason I want a basket muzzle for them is the upcoming trip across country. We did it before without muzzles but it was a hassle! The other part is that I would love for them to be able to hangout with us together for a few hours at night and play in the yard together. They'll still be separate throughout much of the day. I would just love to use the muzzle for an hour or so of yard time and a few hours in the evening.

So what do you all think about the muzzles? Good or bad idea? Which kind and where to purchase? How do we introduce them to the muzzle? They both adjust to anything with ease.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
There are some wire basket muzzles designed for pit bulls and other shorter faced breeds. They have nice leather padding along the rim and good secure straps. I'll try to find some links, but searching "pit bull wire muzzle" should find you some. There are also places that do custom work so the fit is perfect.

I think it could be worth trying. If one dog is muzzled, it can make them more aggressive because they have no way to defend themselves, but if both are muzzled and supervised, it could take some of the stress away from both. I'm not sure I would use muzzles to let them play, but for transport and for just being around each other in the same room, I can see it as a reasonable option.

I used one of the former foster dog for testing purposes (we wanted to get an idea if she was reactive, leash reactive or DA but test it safely). I just held a handful of kibble at the front of the basket muzzle and let her eat the kibble through the muzzle. Then while I continued to feed her, I had someone else hook the straps on. She was fine with it and really didn't even appear to notice she was wearing it. She was not truly aggressive though, more of an unsocialized nutcase instead.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goodness! Those look like amazing basket muzzles and I love the price. I was originally nervous about that since the cheapo ones at Pet Warehouse were $25 for smallish ones. Thank you!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I'll Google some tonight and a bit more at the library tomorrow. I'd love custom ones eventually since they'll be in this awhile. G is almost 5 and Mater 2 and a half. They have a lot of years left in them.

Mater was socialized as a pup. A move across country and 2 months later at 13ish months he went into attack mode. Just silent aggression towards any dog. A move back across country and 3 months later at 20 months, he was a saint with smaller dogs. And even a high stress situation on leash with Gunner, he was friendly. I don't mind keeping them apart, but they seem to love interacting through the gate and kennel and on leash.

Both have worn head halters and soft muzzles before so I figured a basket muzzle would be an easy step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts