Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My 25 lb, 7 year old rescue chihuahua/kelpie mix (weird, but extremely cute!) cannot be around people who are not me/my husband. We have had him for 4 years--he was born in the shelter and adopted out as a puppy, but his first owner died and he was returned to the shelter at the age of 3. We adopted him after he was in the shelter for about 4 months. We have worked with multiple trainers who recommend a basket muzzle, and have seriously spent thousands of dollars in different training programs. He has made progress but continues to be highly reactive around guests.

We tried the Baskerville size 1, which was far too small, and the size 2 was far too big for his face. The last trainer we worked with told us there are other brands out there but we aren't sure which to use.

Can anyone recommend a basket muzzle that would be in between the Baskerville size 1 and 2? We want a basket muzzle so that he could be in it for a few hours. Right now he has to stay in the crate the entire time people come over but he barks the whole time and is disruptive. In case anyone is thinking this...we will NOT be rehoming him! We just want to be able to have guests over safely.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
can't help as I have One dog that is hard to fit with a basket muzzle that fits my other same breed dogs.. so a basket muzzle may not be the type you will end up using.. you might try a slip (sleave) type muzzle. That is for vet handling while I am still holding his head with the Vet working behind me on the same side. so if the dog turns towards the vet he has to go through me first and he won't push me.

As far as your pup,, you have to consider your breeds in your dog,, that is a lot of spunk in one dog from that cross. I wouldn't need a group of trainers to realize that. Not sure what you want your dog to do. My breed is intolerant to people that are not his owners I don't expect him to be friendly to everyone. It's not something to train out of him to think differently. Strong team working skills and OB skills yes. Tolerate being handled by professional services yes also within learning set skills, But not to accept everyone that wants to paw on him would be unreasonable .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts