Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just got our little French Bulldog, Bacon, a week and a half ago and he's 11.5 weeks now. Anyway, I've been trying to housebreak him. I work at home so I'm trying to avoid puppy pads and just take him out every thirty minutes. My question is: We crate Bacon at night and he can go six hours without making a peep. So if this is the case, why does he have such little control during waking hours? Even though I take him out every thirty minutes he still has quite a few accidents and I often catch him in the act (and then rush him outside to complete his business and praise the heck out of him), but he still has these accidents. So basically my question is: If Bacon has the nighttime control why doesn't he have daytime control? He seems to get that outside is the place to go. As soon as he goes outside he pees and looks to be for a treat and approval. Thanks!

Exhausted New Puppy Owner! :)

ps I want to teach him to sit and stay, etc. Should I wait until he's housebroken. If not, should I just teach him one trick at a time or multiple tricks? Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, exhausted and having a blast. He's so darn cute and has such a sweet personality I could never get mad at him. Though I am a little frustrated. I'll check out that link now. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
At night, systems of the body slow down: blood pressure lowers, breathing rate slows, digestion slows, everything goes on "sleep mode". As a result of the body slowing down, less urine is produced, so the puppy doesn't have to go as often. It's the same with people. We can go all night without having to go to the bathroom (some of us! :) ) because we are on "sleep mode", but during the day, we have to go more often.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At night, systems of the body slow down: blood pressure lowers, breathing rate slows, digestion slows, everything goes on "sleep mode". As a result of the body slowing down, less urine is produced, so the puppy doesn't have to go as often. It's the same with people. We can go all night without having to go to the bathroom (some of us! :) ) because we are on "sleep mode", but during the day, we have to go more often.
Makes sense! And I'm so excited to get some quick responses. I also signed up at a French Bulldog forum, but no one comments. :(

Anyway, Bacon can go 3 hours in the crate during the day when I have to run out and pick my kids up at school and never pee at all either. I assume it's just the denning instinct and that when we're playing and he has the freedom of exploring our family room (which is gated off now so he can only roam in there) that he gets really excited and has to pee more often (every thirty minutes). So maybe he CAN hold it for longer, but he doesn't have control yet when he's excited? Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think that it takes a while before a puppy realizes that its not OK to pee in the house. They can often go for ages in the crate because they are smart enough to know that if they pee -- they have to sit in it. But in the house that's another thing. They can pee on the rug in the hall and then go in the living room. No problem. I would never let a puppy have the run of the house for months and months. Of course, big dogs are different. I have never had a big dog/puppy pee in the house but all my Shih-tzus could not be trusted and it took months and months before my Mini Poodle could be loose. She would pee in the evening after supper while I was watching TV. So for many months, she was confined to her crate after supper. Don't ask me why she did this because I have no idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts