Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally ordered a clipper kit online, and have decided to groom Pixie myself from now on. The only time I've ever been happy with how she's been cut is after I've gone over her with scissors after picking her up a the groomer's, and it will save me money in the long run.

So I've been reading a little bit about it, I know the dog has to be washed and completely dry before you start. But one thing I read puzzled me a little. It said that you also have to completely brush the dog out so that there are no tangles, so allow the blade thing to run through the hairs.

But if that's the case, how do they ever shave matted dogs? Do they use a different type of clippers? Pixie isn't matted, but she has a few little tangles on her chest and behind her ears. Do these need to be cut off before I go over her with clippers? They don't brush out, I've tried....

And are there some grooming basics that I MUST know before I start?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Depends on the dog and the size of the mat, but if it's a complete mess, then we usually just use the 10 blade (quite short) and shave everything off. That's for the dogs where there's little to no hope of removing a mat because they're one big mat or close to that though.

For small tangles, if you're shaving her down anyhow, cut them out. If you want to save the hair and not leave a hole, then work the scissors in between the mat and the skin, then cut the mat in half, then work it out with a greyhound comb or dematting tool. Or, cut it again, same way, and work on it in smaller bits. Depends on if the dog will put up with it of course. You can also use thinning shears to cut the hair under the matt, so it's easier to work out. but if you're clipping that area down anyway, just dont' get the skin in there.

Use the thinning shears on spots where she's more likely to matt too, as a preventitive. I shave our persian cat from his armpits to the base of his tail, because that area always matts up and he hates being combed there. Not really a traditional clip but it saves me fighting with him to comb there all the time and I like it better than the lion clip.

Ideally she should be washed and dried so there's no dirt in her coat, because that will wear out your clippers a lot faster. A grooming table and noose will be a bit asset too.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
When we talk about all the matts being combed out and tangle free, we are referring to longer lengths than a shavedown. When a dog is matted, blades and attachments will not cut thru the matts. You have to go to a shorter blade (the longer the blade, the wider it is from the side) that will fit between the matts and the skin. If you are just shaving your dog with a 7f or shorter, there is no need to dematt and brush out first. But if,you want to leave length, you must be able to get a fine tooth greyhound comb thru the coat everywhere.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips on getting rid of tangles :)

So, if the blade fits between the tangle and the skin it's all good? I'm planning on trying a Maltese short-cut, so behind her ears and chest will be cut pretty short anyway. She doesn't get tangles anywhere else.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Thanks for the tips on getting rid of tangles :)

So, if the blade fits between the tangle and the skin it's all good? I'm planning on trying a Maltese short-cut, so behind her ears and chest will be cut pretty short anyway. She doesn't get tangles anywhere else.
That is correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts