Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just added an 11 week old Havanese to our family.....
I started using wee wee pads from day 1 but have a few questions.
1. Ideally I'd like dog to eventually go outside but have been advised to wait for next round of vaccines. True or false?
2. He had been going on pads but usually puts front paws outside pad and hes a boy which shoots urine forward onto edge of pad and hardwood flooring. Is there something I can do to have him be on the pad completely?
3. He doesnt seem to like treats? I've purchased a couple of flavors but no cigar...Ideas?
Thank You

·
Registered
468 Posts
1. Ideally I'd like dog to eventually go outside but have been advised to wait for next round of vaccines. True or false?
False, just don't go around dogs that may not be vaccinated. You can go outside, just don't go to the dog park or anything like that
2. He had been going on pads but usually puts front paws outside pad and hes a boy which shoots urine forward onto edge of pad and hardwood flooring. Is there something I can do to have him be on the pad completely?
They sell trays for wee wee pads that they have to step onto to pee pee in. Or Give treat every time all four paws are on pad.
3. He doesnt seem to like treats? I've purchased a couple of flavors but no cigar…Ideas?
Try plain cooked chicken, dried liver treats, tiny pieces of cheese, tiny pieces of hot dog, etc.
Thank You
Using wee wee pads now will make it harder to train for outside pottying later on. It teaches them that going to the bathroom inside is okay as long it is on a material like wee wee pads. So carpets and bath mats are okay for peeing on too, in their eyes.

I live in an apartment right now with little access to grassy area, so until I can move in May I have been using this thing called Fresh Patch. It is a patch of live grass that you buy once a week, so it would make for a better transition from indoor peeing to outdoor peeing. I have it set up automatically so I get one each week. It costs $19 four times a month, basically the same I would have payed for on wee wee pads. It is only a little bit more expensive than wee wee pads, it is better for the environment, and it is a more natural potty. I threw mine out before the new one arrived, and my dogs actually held their pee in because they didn't want to go on the wee wee pad.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You're fine to go outside, as long as it's not an area where possibly unvaccinated dogs have been, like the dog park, a popular hiking trail or the floor of Pet Smart. Otherwise, go outside.

Some dogs aren't particularly food motivated, but the suggestion of actual cooked meat, cheese and hot dogs is a good one. If he's not into treats, you'll have to find what he is into- toys, a game of tug, praise, petting, etc.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
If you are careful about where you take him, I'd skip the pads and go outside. That way you are setting up clear guidelines and expectations from the beginning. Also, we used pads with our first puppy because we were in an apartment and far from the outdoor potty area, and I would never do it again. Our dog starting thinking it was ok to pee/poop on anything that slightly resembled a pad, like door mats, throw rugs, bath mats, etc.
If you feel you must use pads, there are pad trays, they come in different styles, some trays have raised sides. That might help.
3. He doesnt seem to like treats? I've purchased a couple of flavors but no cigar...Ideas?
Lots of dogs like moist treats instead of the crunchy type. Keep trying! The stinkiest are usually the best. We use Zuke's Mini Naturals, Bil Jac's Gooberlicious (peanut butter type, very moist), and a huge variety of others! :) Tiny bits of hot dogs and cheese are usually good choices, or bits of chicken. Treats should be super small; we never use them full size, we always break or cut them into pieces the size of a pinky fingernail.

Thank You
The treat issue could be due to the fact that he's new to your home, and still a bit unsure, and might having a bit of a sensitive stomach, what with all the changes...
Have you posted pictures??? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of great insist!!! I appreciate all your suggestions and will start taking him out tomorrow morning!! He has begun having acidents on our area rugs and the front door mat...... I'm a little peeved vet asked to keep dog indoors until his next set of vaccines. I could have going out since day 1.....
With that thought, should I completely eliminate the wee wee pads or should I keep them? I am only worried since he's so small and may not be able to hold his urine. I am 'crate training' him...Taking him out specifically to be put on wee wee pads, be fed, and interactive play. I do not want to give him access to the whole house and further confuse him. Thanks again... I've only taking pics w/my smart phone...I'll see how to upload them into my profile..... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts