Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get infor on basenji breeders. I'm from New York and they are not popular at all in my area. Does anyone have any info? Thank you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are not an experienced dog owner who has raise at least 3 or 4 pups....Do Not get a basenji. They require a lot of attention including socialization, obedience training and you must keep your eye on them at all times.

Our Corky is an amazing dog. Sweetest little guy you'll ever meet. Turn your back (or even sometimes not) for a second and he will go for what he wants. They have no fear whatsoever and what they want they will get unless it is out of smell and mostly site.

Please, please join www.basenjiforums.com and do your homework. The horror stories ARE TRUE!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I second 'tasha's post. In the wrong hands, they are hell. I guess I'm biased because I've seen it happen and it is not pretty.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
No need to thank me. OP, I am in no way suggesting that you don't know what you're doing, but a lot of people get caught up in the "shed-less" "bark-less" "cleanliness" aspect of the Basenji and forget that they generally need a lot of exercise, usually have a strong prey drive, and just are overall intense dogs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shedless??? Someone forgot to tell Corky that. :) Barkless yes. Silent....NOT A CHANCE! Cleanliness....well that one is true. :) They also have a natural sweet smell that I am addicted to.

I am also not suggesting that you don't know what you're doing OP. I'm just being cautious. I fear for basenjis who end up in a novice household. It's not good for the dog or the people.

I guess I should give a few other good points to the breed. They are F-U-N!!! As long as they are raised properly they are a total blast!!! They are beautiful, graceful and every action they take is completely flawless. If raised properly they are loving and loyal.

Raising a basenji is unlike raising other dogs. You have to teach them manners and let them be basenjis at the same time. It's not a simple task. You have to follow their lead sometimes. It is definitely a give and take experience. A heavy hand will do you no good. You must reason with them and put them on the right path. As much as I love Corky, I have no plans on raising another basenji. It was one of the hardest things I've done and my husband and I had raised many pups before we got him. My hubby on the other hand is up for the challenge. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts