Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that everyone's eggs end up in one nest.. Ducks, chickens, geese. lazy individuals wanting someone else to do all the work. Did notice a single chick just standing in the barn all by them self so I scooped him up and walked around looking for a hen with other chicks. No luck in finding a place for this little guy. At night I went to all the hens sitting on a nest and tried to get them to accept the baby.. Found one that would take the little guy in under their wing for the night. Then realized this little guy wanted to stay with a mamma goose and it made sense how had hatched the egg.

problem is the mamma goose is a nasty temper individual not easy to get close to get the baby chick. And the mamma goose is still sitting on the nest which isn't good for a baby chick that needs to get food and water. I set up food and water near the goose and the baby chick is eating and drinking. So I let them be since they so happy and that the baby needs a warm and safe place .. And now as of yesterday the mamma goose has hatched one of her own.. Just hope in the future the baby chick doesn't try to go swimming..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1807576285938325&set=a.460308710665096.122461.100000579142730&type=3&theater&notif_t=like&notif_id=1500787141388697

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1807576282604992&set=a.460308710665096.122461.100000579142730&type=3&theater

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope that baby bird is ok. Have you considered taking it as your human child and raising it in the house until it can fend for itself?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I love hearing about all of the animals at your place, Patricia! Now that there are baby geese (had to Google, "goslings" :p) will the baby chick just jump in and grow up with the goslings?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Alisa♥;5163082 said:
I love hearing about all of the animals at your place, Patricia! Now that there are baby geese (had to Google, "goslings" :p) will the baby chick just jump in and grow up with the goslings?
The only problem with that is if the goose leads her babies into water. Chickens don't really swim.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure how this will end up long term. Right now am happy that the baby chicks have a fierce mamma goose that will protect them and keep them warm. Bringing them in the house would not be better for the chicks since they do have mamma's to care for them. There is now another goose that has a chick of her own. i have a huge rat snake in the barn which is good and bad... Good because a strong rat snake is territorial to keep the rattlers out of the barn... and Bad as the new babies can be eaten . i don't mind that the rat snake goes after mice or eats eggs... I do care that the rattlers are kept away. Do feel once the chicks are older they will do as all babies chicks do... they go on to do their own thing by themselves and start roosting on their own.. I

yes chickens sink like rocks :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts