Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merlin is a breed that is "prone" to barking and thus far has been a very good little guy.

However, last weekend we were away and he went to a friend who runs a very professional doggy day care. He was with 4 other dogs, 3 who in which love to bark. Naturally, little Merlin thought it was such a delight to hear his own voice. When I got him back, she mentioned how much he barked. Horrified, I rebutted with that he never barks at home..

Now.. Here goes..
How do you stop this? I want effective strategies.
I have used the "no bark" and treat when quiet. But it is something that hasn't been too effective. I understand it will take time.

What works for you?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I trained the "quiet" command, but to be fair, GSDs aren't generally problem barkers and Muggsy was an adult, not a puppy.

In the above case, though, it's not really Merlin's fault. He's playing and being egged on by other barking dogs. I don't know what to do about that.

·
Registered
703 Posts
OMgoodness...I can tell you what doesn't work- me ignoring 100% while DH and DS tell her to stop when I'm not around. She's got that awful terrier high-pitched demanding bark.

Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMgoodness...I can tell you what doesn't work- me ignoring 100% while DH and DS tell her to stop when I'm not around. She's got that awful terrier high-pitched demanding bark.

Good luck.
Haha. Luckily his bark is pretty "manly" and doesn't have a high pitch. I know some dogs are just known to bark and I will continue with the "no bark" command and hope for the best LOL..

I suppose it is their way of communicating

1 - 4 of 4 Posts