Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m totally confused on a training technique. I feel like I’ve backed myself into a corner.

Background: My dog is an almost 3 year old international rescue, very high anxiety (though getting better!), takes fluoxetine daily. I’ve had her for just over 2 years, since she was about 6 months old. We’ve done a lot of training (group and private) and her progress has been amazing but unpredictable.

Starting point:: One of her biggest issues is fear barking in the backyard at some things that happen on the other side of our solid, tall, far from the sidewalk fence (we live in an urban area with high foot traffic and cars/bikes/dogs going by). Our last trainer was big on teaching her an alternate behavior when she’s doing something I don’t want, so we taught her to go in the house and lay on her bed when she’s scared/barking/nervous. We used the verbal command 'in the house'. This works great in summer when I’m sitting in the backyard and/or the door is open. I would follow her and praise or toss a treat into the house.

Current issue: So now winter is coming, and I’m not always outside with her. I let her out, then hear her barking, open the door and call her. She comes in the house, which is great. Do I reward for her recall, which isn’t very solid anyway? Am I somehow rewarding for barking, because it means the door opens and she gets a treat?

I’m probably overthinking this. Help! I'm sure there's a bunch of angles I haven't even considered.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Call her in, give her a treat. It's rewarding the recall, stopping the barking, and teaching an incompatible thing - yeah, yeah, she barks and gets called in which leads to treat, but also if she starts running to the door and barking to be let in when she's uncomfortable is it a problem? I'm guessing no :p

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Just think of it as rewarding the last thing the dog did, which is coming to you when called. That's a good thing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts