Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quill used to be great with this. For all his leash reactivity, fences were not a problem. They still aren't...sometimes. However, our neighbors have two dogs who bark at him constantly and while Quill used to ignore them, he no longer does. I'm not sure what changed, but now he's begun barking back and it's obnoxious, to say the least. I can call him off and reward him with a high value treat (a ball, for example) easily, but I've been doing that for months and he still returns the barking the moment I'm not out there to keep him from doing it. When I put him in the yard, I keep a close eye on him but often from the house. I work at home frequently and want to let him spend time outside, but obviously not while this is happening...

Now, it's even more of a problem, because the place we are living until mid-August has a pretty sketchy fence separating yards (basically t-posts with chicken wire across it), and while Quill has never tried jumping up on a fence before...the neighbors just got a GSD puppy that he is VERY interested in. I don't want to tempt fate and I don't want him barking non-stop through the fence either. He might not bark if the puppy didn't bark back, but that still leaves the sketchy fencing. Also, worth noting, he won't ever be in this yard alone as it has fairly low fences in general.

So two questions in one.

1. Any ideas for a temporary, relatively easy/cheap fix to make that fence a bit more sturdy so I'm at least not paranoid about him trying to jump over to see the puppy?

2. How do I work on not caring about the neighbor dogs barking at him/fixating on him? The neighbors had another dog before this puppy and Quill was 100% fine. Interested slightly, but it didn't care about him so he didn't get overly excited about it. The puppy is different. It is just as interested in Quill and Quill is in it, and same with the two dogs at our other house.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
Try putting snow fence or that plastic type stuff builders use to keep dirt runoff to minimum up to at least block Quill's view. Sometimes not being able to see whats on the other side discourages dogs from trying to jump.

When Quill barks, he automatically loses his outside privileges. That has always worked well for me. Whenever Ralphie barked I would call him inside, still rewarded him, but he was no longer outside...so he learned barking = mom thinks I want to come inside. He also knows if he doesn't respond I will go and fetch him.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Block his view. Is there a separation between the two fences or are the other dogs right on the other side of the fence? If it is the latter that can be an issue.

In a kennel situation there is a reason for "privacy panels" so dogs are not directly in sight of each other. Even then, dogs will 'punk' each other. If there is space between the two fences blocking sight works much better.

Because I have dogs outside in kennels and I go to work, I do not hesitate to put electronic bark collars on the ones that bark. I know you will rail at the idea, but you cannot control other dogs and if you "just let the dog out" then your dog will bark if the other dogs provoke. It is just the way dogs are. Often (but not always) the NEXT behavior is fence running AND barking back and forth with obsession. I cannot have THAT so I use bark collars on the instigators (and once in awhile on the others if I notice an issue). The dogs figure all this out very quickly and don't bark. They will if I take the collars off, so it is management and not a cure. I don't care what it is as long as they don't bark!

The other options are to not let your dog out if the neighbor's dogs are out and always go out with your dog so you can bring him in if the neighbor has the dogs out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts