Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've begun to notice my 9-month old mini doxie is not fond of strangers -- but only males for the most part. He does not bark at all otherwise...

He always barks/lunges at my father, not with intent to bite it seems, because his tail is up and wagging. My brothers came over today, and he exhibited the same behaviours....but shows love and kisses to myself and my mother.

At the dog park, he is terrific with dogs and strangers alike, so this is why I'm confused.

Long story short, here is a check list of my worries:
-barks at strangers, mostly males
-Lunges at times
-tail is up and wagging (not down and between legs).

WHAT DO I DO??

I'm a first-time owner, and he's been with us for about 6 months.

What exercises can I do?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Very common behavior that dogs will not react to strangers on neutral ground but, react strongly on home territory.

One exercise that you can practice at home is teaching him that you'll handle the guests first...he can go relax on his rug/mat while you're doing the meet and greets then, he gets to say Hello.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
A couple of things.
One: a wagging tail does not indicate "happiness" at all times..especially if it is UP as opposed to Mid line or below. Watch the difference in tail wags with you or with your male family members. Is it a "loosey goosey" wag or a STIFF, high wag (in essence a FLAG)? All a wagging tail means is a stimulation of some kind..could be good, could be bad, could be a warning.

When he barks and lunges, does he show teeth? Snap? Grab pantlegs or ankles? Is it only when you or your mother are there?

Is he neutered? Are the males in the family involved in feeding/walking/training? Does he show the behaviour towards random males on walks or ONLY in the home? Does it happen at the same times during the day or at different times? What sort of training have you done with him? What is he fed?

There are a LOT of variables here. He could be resource guarding you and your mum, he could have undiagnosed health issues, the men could be not involved enough in the dog's life so he thinks they are interlopers, he may not get enough exercise and training or it may simply be lack of manners being taught to him.

If you could give us some more info we may be able to help more.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
With my father, the tail is wagging, like playful. He lunghes, and tries to get my dad's pant leg a lot. I don't think he shows teeth at all, just barks and lunges like that.

On walks, he also barks at males only, but not a lot any more -- I've controlled him and he seldom does it (uses to do it a lot.).

My father does walk him, and feeds him, and he only seems to be aggressive towards him when I'm home. When Im not home, my mother tells me he comes up to him and snuggles and sleeps on his lap!

He is well-trained, as he knows sit, stay, paw, lie down, and sit pretty.

What could the problem be? What can I do to solve it?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
What could the problem be? What can I do to solve it?
You have to decide what you're seeing... is it resource guarding, is it a fear reaction......protecting territory....or, could it even be an (poor) attempt to play?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
From what you've said so far, it sounds like play with your father and brothers but, it's not good play. Grabbing of pants legs, shoe laces, hands, etc. is never allowed. Show him how to play nicely, with the appropriate toys and how to meet guests politely (without the barking and growling).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts