Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Why does s/he bark? I'd work on finding the cause and addressing the underlying issue rather than using punishment (which can make the situation worse).

If s/he is frightened, you can counter-condition to reduce fear. If s/he is bored, increase physical and mental exercise. If s/he wants attention, ignore the barking and train him/her to do something else to gain your attention.

Here are a few resources:
How to Get Your Dog to Stop Barking
Bark! Bark! Bark!
Why Do Dogs Bark?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. At this point he is definitely NOT fearful of anything. He chases and barks at bugs, birds, cats etc... He has killed multiple birds and 2 cats I know of. Scared doesn't seem like the problem. He is very protective of our property and us as a family. He is very responsive to us. i.e: comes when called. Obeys most commands. Very gentle with kids. He's just very annoying when chasing and barking as is his other favorite past time other than spending it with us. Thinking of vibrating collar to help shake him out of the chasing mode. Will post results. Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ginger is a yappy ~5 year old 15 pound chi/pom/terrier dog without nearly as much prey drive as your dog.

If she yaps she looses access to the stimulus that is forcing her to bark. If passerbys make her bark the door to that room is closed. If she cannot handle being outside then she comes in.

Interesting thing is she stops barking outside if we close the door and won't let her in. It seems like she is asking us to come out to see what is up and closing the door so far has been a clear message to her that we aren't interested. We originally called her in for a cookie when she barked so the logical result of that was she went out and barked so we would call her in for a cookie.

She is more apt to have a barking fit when she hasn't had her minimum daily requirements of a 1/2-2 hour walk, couple of play sessions and most important, a nice fun with lots of treats training sessions a day.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My dog barks at stuff more when he's bored. If he gets a good long walk and attention, he stops caring about barking at things outside so much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts