Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to stop it?

What should I do? I have neighbors who are very sensititve to dog barking/whining and I don't trust that Ruby wouldn't if we left her in the crate if we went on an outing.

So, we take her with us or someone is always here, but with the weather warming up, that is not going to work to take her in the car anymore.

Right now we ignore the barking if she's in the crate. It's still happening though.

Any ideas or experiences? :)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Ideally, she goes into the crate to sleep so, it begs the question of why is she awake? Too much time in the crate? Not enough exercise/mental stimulation? Crate is isolated/out of sight from the rest of the 'pack'? Or, it can just be incomplete crate training....crate isn't a comfortable/desirable place to be.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
We are not experienced dog owners but we were having this problem with our Jack Russell pup and our trainer said to cover the crate. It has cut down the barking/whining by about 90% and we always give her a stuffed kong when we leave to distract her. I used to hear her barking and yelping like crazy when we left and when she heard us come back. Now I dont :)

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I tried putting a cover over the crate with my last puppy and she has never whined or barked in the crate but she is usually only in the crate at night and gets lots of exercise during the day. If I have to leave her in a crate during the day when I go out, I give her a frozen Kong with peanut butter in it and that seems to keep her amused while I am out. I have stood outside for a while when I need to leave and have never heard her barking. At night I just say "bedtime" and she runs into her crate so she is obviously comfortable being in a crate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts