Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Echo goes crazy whenever the bell rings. I've tried training him, holding him outside as I stray my hand near the doorbell. He has really high anxiety for the doorbell, as he squirms around a LOT (like panic) whenever the doorbell rings if he is in my arms...

what other ways should i try to calm him? I'm using treats when he's quiet.

Also, should I do the same thing if he just randomly starts barking at something outside?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The usual approach is to teach him an behavior. What do you want him to do when the doorbell rings?.....go to a mat or rug and lay down....go the top of the stairs....somewhere away from the foyer area? The point is he doesn't know what to do when the doorbell goes off....you need to show him what to do while you go to the door.

This same premise of you handling the situation (going to the door...his job is to relax) works for the barking at something outside. You handle it by stepping between him and the 'problem'. Ask for Quiet....his job is done and now he can relax because you've got it covered.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I taught my dogs "Shhh" by placing my finger on my lips as I made the shhh sound, then gave them a treat. When someone rang the doorbell, I'd give the cue, and so we only had one or two barks. Now, they look at me first, before barking! It's great. When I got my new puppy, oh horrors! She was the Mouth of the South! Arrrrgh! So, immediately taught HER the "shhh" which she picked up on quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts