Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,i am having a problem with my 9 month old black lab. let me explain whats going on. when i am home with him he is fine. when my friends our over, he barks like crazy. my friends greet him and he greets good. but then he will just bark. he gets really good walks every day. can anyone help?

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi everyone,i am having a problem with my 9 month old black lab. let me explain whats going on. when i am home with him he is fine. when my friends our over, he barks like crazy. my friends greet him and he greets good. but then he will just bark. he gets really good walks every day. can anyone help?
It seems like this forum is a bit dead.

As to your question, he could be barking out of excitement. My parents have two mini-shnauzers and one of them barks crazy for a while. Even when I come over he just barks wanting attention.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Isn't being 'a bit dead' sorta like being 'a bit pregnant' ? LOL

It might just take a little while ... for the right person to read through, and find the right spots where they can inject a little wisdom.

Be patient. And if there are no responses within a day or two, just bump the thread back up. Sometimes pleading seems to help, if it gets to that stage. :)

My advice to the OP ... you could start by reading the stickies here. They're at the top of each sub-forum main page. If doing that doesn't help to resolve your issues, then come back and try to provide more details of what you've tried, what method is or isn't working .... etc etc etc

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The Stickies will help, but I don't know which one to recommend.

What happens if the friends go back to pet him while he is barking. If he accepts it and stops barking... then he's calling folks to give him attention.... If this is the case, there is a straightforward fix, which will take some time: Nothing in Life is Free (NILIF). Look it up in the Stickies, Google, and Youtube for example. But it is simply requiring a good behavior, such as Sit, when the dog wants Anything.

If that's not why he's barking, we need to know why... or what circumstances stop it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It might be nervousness and/or fear. Lots of dogs react by barking when they have fear. I have a golden retriever that barks a lot and it isn't "normal" for his breed:( I haven't figured out if he thinks he's the man of the house, if he's trying to get a rise out of my other two which are females or if he just likes to bark, I don't think he has any fear--he only barks at strange things. Labs are usually easy going, but you can get one that is different then the rest. I have one down the street that escapes and when you catch him or go by him, he growls and he does it everytime....he's wagging his tail and his owner says that is just what he does.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Labs could bark like idiots if they don't get enough exercise or if "pack rules" are not clear - ie. does he rush and bark on the door before friends even come in? Basically, if he acts weird when friends come over, crate/tether him until he calms down. You can calm him down by giving attention but then you're just rewarding his bad behaviour and he'd never stop doing it. This is just off the top of my head, it's impossible to be precise with amount of information provided.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My Lab mix barks to get other people to pet him... He is an excellent trainer. People pet him, stop, and then he barks... So they touch him and he stops, they pet a while, then stop... and he barks.... and they pet. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts