Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP!

I'm SURE this has been asked before, but I've done a couple of searches and can't find a post about it... how do I stop this puppy from barking?!

I have no idea (at ALL!) what breed he is, he's a good dog, but he is VERY vocal. He yips and yips and yips ALL the time... not AT things, but when he wants/doesn't want something. The worst is when he doesn't want to be in the yard....

We don't leave him out for long periods of time - usually just let him out to go potty and then let him right back in. But if we DON'T let him back in immediately he yips incessantly. Like tonight... my husband is out of town, so it was a little hectic around dinnertime. I fed Porter, then put him outside so he could poop (it usually takes about 10-20 minutes after he eats) while I finished fixing our dinner. He decided he didn't WANT to go out, he wanted to stick around (and see what we were having for dinner I'm sure LOL!) so as soon as I put him out he start yipping and scratching at the back door. I should have just put him in his crate probably, but (1) I didn't want him to get what he wanted by barking, and (2) I really just wanted him to poop and me to get dinner on the table, I didn't want to have to leave the kids while they were eating to let him out when he finally decided he needed to. Well in the 10 minutes or so after I put him out, our neighbor came over and actually complained that he was barking so much (it's NON-stop, high-pitched TOTALLY annoying - I don't blame her!) So I apologized and put him in his crate while I finished feeding the kids and me. He gets a run in the morning, a walk late in the afternoon, and we play with him in the backyard with balls during the day (and play indoor fetch with his stuffed cow). He gets lots of attention, and doesn't act hyperactive (more than a normal 14 week old puppy), and he is fine left alone in the crate. But he cannot STAND to be put in the backyard and left there. We're housebreaking him and letting him out a LOT, and we can't always stand out there with him. At least while he's going out this often, we need him to be able to be in the backyard for 5-20 minutes at a time without barking like crazy. Not to mention he's tearing up the back door with hos scratching.

Eventually I'd like to get a doggy door, but right now we just have no idea how tall he's going to get (the vet is estimating 70-80 lbs, but doesn't know how tall) so we're holding off buying one.

Help please!

Okay, example #2... I am now trying to put my kids to bed. Porter still has not pooped. I spent 10 minutes in the backyard with him, standing there, throwing balls for him, etc. but he never pooped and now I need to put the kids to bed. I can't let Porter run free in the house, because he will poop in the house. If I put him in the crate, he barks incessantly and keeps the kids from being able to sleep. If I put him in the yard, he barks incessantly and annoys the neighbors (and us!!) I don't know what to do with him for the next THIRTY MINUTES while I put the kids to bed. Then he'll get the same thing he ALWAYS gets at 8pm when they're asleep - a whole hour of training and playing and one-on-one attention. But I need to teach him that RIGHT NOW he needs to either be in his crate or out in the yard, or once he has pooped he could actually hang out free in the house. I'm losing my mind right now with his barking - and yes it's mostly because my husband is gone and I'm trying to take care of the house by myself... but there must be some way to get him to HUSH! Thanks.

·
Banned
221 Posts
Remember he is 14 weeks old. Don't expect him to act like an adult dog.

He may be afraid in the yard by himself. If you can't go out with him, maybe one of your children can. I think he has learned that barking gets him what he wants. He will continue to use this too as long as it works.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Does he have problems when left in the crate alone?

Remember that your dog is just a puppy. He's at a stage where being left alone or isolated is instinctively terrifying. This doesn't mean that you should never leave him alone, but it does mean that you may have to slowly acclimatise him to the feeling by reassuring him that you will always come back to get him.

At this age, you can't quite expect to put him out there, for him to know he's been put outside to poop, poop and then wait around quietly for you to come in. Maybe when he's a year old. If that. But not at 14 weeks. Right now, you should be going out with him (on a leash, no ball games; play time is play time, poop time is poop time, and combining the two will only delay the poop further), waiting for him to poop, praising/treating, and then taking him straight back inside. It may take 20 minutes for him to poop. What can I say? There's a reason why people choose to adopt adult dogs. :D

In the meantime, get him used to the feeling of being out there by gradually increasing the time that he's left alone. Find out how long he can tolerate being out there before he starts to cry. If it's 30 seconds, so be it; put him out for 20 seconds, then open the door and welcome him in. If he starts to cry while you're timing, knock on the door and say "Hey" (not sternly) and wait for silence before letting him back in. Slowly raise the amount of time you leave him out there in increments. But remember, he's a baby. It's natural for him to feel scared for his life when separated from the pack; not to mention it may not always be safe for him to be out there alone for too long.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
With puppies, I will generally put them on leash to go out to potty, for a couple of reasons. I want them to learn to go on command, and, so that I can get the puppy moving along, as this will get the bowels moving, so I don't have to stand around waiting. In addition, by using the leash, they learn it's time to poop and pee, not play.

My puppy didn't like to be outside without me at that age, either, and would scream and cry like she was being murdered when I just left the room! This too, passes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!! It makes me feel a million times better knowing this might just be a puppy thing and he's not just the world's barkiest dog! I haven't had a puppy since I was a kid, so I didn't know.... it never occurred to me that he was scared but (DUH!!) it makes SO much sense, because NOW in hindsight, I realize he's worst about it when it's dark outside. During the day he'll sometimes WANT to go out and just run around the lawn with his toys and he's fine. He's usually okay in his crate, but sometimes he's really barky in his crate too. The worst time seems to be that hour I was posting last night - there's SO much going on at our house between 6-8 pm, so it's a time that we really need him to be in his crate or outside (it's also when he gets dinner, so he needs to poop). But I think he wants to be part of the excitement, and that's why he's barking. We're cooking/eating yummy dinner, the kids are getting a bath (he loves watching LOL), everyone's together, etc. We try to let him be with us during that time, but sometimes it's just too hectic (like last night when I was doing it alone). He still has to be very closely supervised, because he gets into stuff (trash, kids' toys, etc.) and isn't 100% potty trained, and it's just too hard for us to watch him while we're trying to get the family fed and into bed.

Just knowing he'll outgrow some of it really helps. We'll just try not to put him out alone, especially after dark (our kids are too young to be left alone with him in the yard). Also our porch light is burned out, so I'll be sure to get that replaced so it's not so dark too.

Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts