Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2 year old Labrador, he is good with other dogs while off leash and doesn’t show any aggression or growling/barking. When he is on a leash and sees another dog, he will start barking. I have tried multiple different tools and techniques, but he still does it often. We have used the bark deter, distracting from other dog, and e collar, but no progress. I’m not sure what I can do now. I’ve looked into anti bark muzzles, but I see mixed options from others.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Well, this is not a time I would use an e collar. I train with an e collar so I know what I am talking about.

You need to get between your dog and the other dog. Do NOT approach the other dog and if they approach you move away.
Have your dog Sit and focus on you. If he gets up and refuses to sit.. you are too close.

The object is to get focus on YOU and not the other dog. You may have to start at some distance. You need to be 100% consistent. If you go to dog parks stop. You need to work on focus on you and the "job" (sit is a job) no matter what the distraction.

Never let your dog greet other dogs while on leash. Ever. Not saying you do. Just a thing you should not do.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
I would suggest you peruse this thread:

It is a compilation of materials with training guides and tips for reactive dogs (whether that be fear reactive, frustration, or excitement).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts