Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI. Well sometimes Shiloh barks at himself in my full length mirror, early mornings or late at night before bed. I know his main reason for doing it is for attention. He thinks it's a game which I'm responsible for to a large degree. When he would start, I would tell hi no try to redirect his attention and then he runs under the bed and I chase him to get him and boom he thinks it's a game. I bark, Mama chases, what fun. I have resorted to ignoring him and sometime his barking sessions are shorter and he gives up and comes and lays down, or comes kin the bathroom to see why I'm not chasing him and what could be so important that I didn't come running when he barked. He will still do this even when he's had A LOT of exercise. Any suggestions? ...BTW, even if I take him and put him in bed with me and give him a toy and play with him up there he will jump down and go to the mirror. He just likes that game better. I have only been ignoring him for a few days now. Do you think I should keep doing that and then when stops barking give him praise and attention so he thinks that 'hey I get more attention when I'm not barking.' ? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I think that's the best way to go. Ignore the barking and he'll get the hint and reward when he's good and quiet. I tell that to my dog all the time, "we reward the quiet" I say. You can give him a treat too or play with him when he's quieted down.

I'm not a trainer, but that's what I would do. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's the best way to go. Ignore the barking and he'll get the hint and reward when he's good and quiet. I tell that to my dog all the time, "we reward the quiet" I say. You can give him a treat too or play with him when he's quieted down.

I'm not a trainer, but that's what I would do. Good luck.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with SOC. Ignore the barking and, on those occasions when he gives up the game and lays down, give him a treat. In any case, stop chasing him. Shiloh will get to the point where he's just laying down and not "playing the game." In that case, continue the treats for a couple of weeks to reinforce the behavior.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. As I said I've been doing the ignoring bit for a couple days and I think he's starting to get the picture. Glad I had resorted to the best solution. Thanks for your input guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts