Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Delilah is only 3.5 months old so she is really just finding her voice but I have to say I love when she barks mainly because who she barks at is hilarious. When she sees a new person or dog she usually drops to her belly and belly crawls up to them looking for attention. She has only gone nuts barking 4 times, 3 at people once at a dog. Each time was bang on imo. The time she barked at the dog she was laying on my bed. A former co-worker walked by with her untrained, unsocialized rotti. My dog jumped off my bed barking, tore through the house and out onto the front steps barking like mad. I put pup back into house and coworker came up to the house to talk. Well her dog tried to bite mine through the screen door(thankfully the glass was down). She laughed and said "I was going to buy him a muzzle yesterday but the pet store closed so I thought we would try without" SHe was taking this untrained, unsocialized dog (that had previously bitten someone in their yard) to the playground with her kids.

Anyway, pup had a good sense that this dog was not safe given how much barking she did. She never barks at other dogs.

As for people that is where I find it hilarious. Person 1 was the teen that bullies my kids. He walked by when we were out on a walk and she went nuts barking at him and lunging towards him. I got her under control but she continued to growling at him as long as he was in eye sight. Second guy is one that walks by 2-4 times a day. Father of a daycare child I used to watch, creepy looking as all get out. She barks at him every single time he goes by and like the rotti will run from one end of the house to the front windows to bark at him. SHe does not do this at all when other people walk by.

The last person she barks at everytime she sees him is my exhusband. She runs to ex's girlfriend for attention and has from day one, but she always sits on my feet and barks at my ex. I find that one hilarious.

She has a good sense of people and I appreciate her warning system. If she is barking at a person or animal myself and the kids can trust there is something off about that person/animal.

I know it is not a gender specific because she goes up to lots of males with tail wagging looking for attention, it just happens to be 3 males that she has barked at.

I know many people think dogs should be trained to never bark but I like that she gives us that warning when something is feeling off.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would never want to train Hobbes to never bark! We live in a 3d-floor walk-up, and when he hears someone coming up the stairs he barks. In the middle of the night if he hears something strange he barks. This seems to be more common when my husband is away, but that could just be my wishful thinking that he's protecting me. It's annoying to be woken up but I'd rather he bark than ignore it. His loud, deep bark is a good security system. (Okay, to be fair, if an intruder ever got in he might just lick him/her to death...but I like to think it would deter an intruder in the first place)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I was thrilled when Kabota started barking- a scared little bunny of a rescue afraid to make a sound is a sad thing. He has a huge, deep bay completely out of proportion to his size. The first time he barked, I looked around for the barking dog, because surely my little Kabota wasn't making that huge noise.

As to why he barks, heck if I know. He'll sleep right through someone coming into the house and bark at a person getting out of a car down the street. He's only barked at people on walks twice, both times it was groups of teenage boys/young men, so he may have been picking up my hesitancy about the situation. (A woman alone, a group of men, we've all seen that on the news.) He doesn't bark at dogs at all, not even that dog down the street that tries to attack him. In fact, if a dog barks at Kabota, he starts whining. He wants to play with all the dogs, so I don't think he understands barrier aggressive dogs going nuts behind a fence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts