Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a new puppy (first time dog owner!).

I have been looking into BarkBusters to help me with in-home training. Has anyone ever used their services? Or know if they are worth the $$$

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thank you!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I've never used them myself, but three people I know who have used them weren't thrilled and didn't really have a noticeable improvement in whatever issues they were needing help with.

That said, I would assume it would all depend on the individual trainer.

Is there a local trainer you could look into getting? They might have a more vested interest in helping you since they aren't a chain and depend on good word of mouth for references & stuff.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Around here, they are not very highly regarded. However, I assume they are like Petsmart... depends on the area and the individuals running that location's business.

What are you having problems with? Why do you want to do in-home training in particular? It is generally recommended to get a new pup into a group "puppy kindergarten" class to aid in socialization, which the pup would not be exposed to with in-home training.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
I haven't been impressed with the trainers from BB here...back when I was "just" walking dogs some of my clients used them. Not much success in their issues and a lot of hierarchy blather, throwing chain filled bags, barking at your dog "BAHHH" and things like that. Guarantee schmarantee.

Check out the APDT website to help search for trainers in your area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your responses!

I have researched quite a bit, and have decided not to go with either BarkBusters or PetSmart!

I initially wanted in home training moreso for myself and my husband. Just to make sure we were doing things properly. Juno is a pup (hes 9.5wks old now), so i obv don't expect him to be perfect! He is doing good with his sits now!

I went with a local trainer in Ajax, Ontario called Whos Walking Who. I signed Juno up for puppy preschool! He will hv so much fun with other dogs.

My main issue right now is his nipping and biting. Its playful, but i want to nip that in the bud right now. I have tried to YELP! and stop playing, but that wont work. I even tried walking out of the room/turning my back to him and also a gentle time out in his crate, but nothing yet. I guess i will have to continue practicing!!

Thanks for all your support guys! :)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Yay Juno!
Who's Walking Who is a great training company. Positive training, great trainers and they do everything from kindergarten to agility and behaviour consultation. Their founder, Gillian Ridgeway is a blogger on DogStarDaily.

Good luck..and Hi from Toronto!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts