Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I realize that there is likely very little I can do about this, if anything. And I'm not "on my last nerve and contemplating taking her to a shelter" over this. It is, however, annoying, lol, so I thought it couldn't hurt to at least ask.

The deal is, I have a 2 year old chihuahua who hardly barks. She was almost a year old before she even realized she had a voice. She still barks when she hears people in the hall (we live in an apartment), but it's pretty well under control.

However.. the new puppy found her voice within days of coming home to me, ugh, lol. Anyway, she doesn't bark at anything EXCEPT, my other chihuahua! When she wants to play, she is absolutely relentless. I can't hear the tv over her, I can't hear my music over her and worst is when I'm on the phone for work.

I've tried just distracting her, but have you ever try to keep a 12 week old puppy from playing? lol

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I'm having the same problem...my 10 week old puppy bugs the crap out of the older dog, and since she can't get up on the couch, if the older dog is on the couch she just sits there and barks at her! And my puppy is a mastiff/boxer and her bark is a little scary already!

I've been teaching her quiet. If I bark at her, she'll bark back at me..so I've been having her bark, then clapping and saying quiet and praising her. So when she gets psycho baby I say quiet and throw a toy at her haha.

Many people teach their dog "speak" and then "quiet" which helps stop problem barking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One thing you can do to take advantage of this time is teach your dog how to bark on command. I used to distract my dog with a treat during barking sessions. She would be barking so I would say "speak Bella speak" and make a mouth opening and closing gesture with my hand. Then I would reward her. This process stopped her from barking but also taught her a new trick. So now she can bark on command but never really does lol Only time she barks is briefly when someone is at the door or if I tell her to!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts